PDA

View Full Version : PimaFix??

shayesmommy
Sun May 14, 2006, 01:27 AM
We were starting to treat our gouramis(Spelling?) as we are recieving discus on monday. I was going to treat them as i just added them. We were going to start and then keep treating them for seven days after the discus come.
We dont mind if we loose the gourami to anything but we dont want them killing our discus off? We really dont have a spare tank to treat them.Not yet at least.
And from what i read here pima/mela fix dont work on discus.
is there anything else i can start treating them with. They all look healthy and eating well but not taking a chance cuz these fish are really important to us and we dont want to loose them to some mistake.

DR.V
Sun May 14, 2006, 05:16 AM
So you mean you wanted to quarantine the discus ?

If so, you can use tapeworm tablets and some metro ...

HTH

shayesmommy
Sun May 14, 2006, 05:39 AM
not so much the discus but the other fish. So they dont make my discus sick.
can i treat the other fish with pimafix?
i dont know im confused about the right way to do this.

cactusboy
Sun May 14, 2006, 06:04 AM
Pimafix is an anti-fungal treatment. Also treats external bacteria infections. So unless your fish show any signs of fungus or have wounds, then its not needed.

Merrilyn
Sun May 14, 2006, 02:25 PM
It's not the ideal way to quarantine fish, but if you only have one tank, then I guess you can treat them all together.

It sounds like you have very few other fish in the tank, and the discus will be the main occupants.

You should worm you fish soon after you get them, so that's the first thing I'd be doing. Treat them for round worm, threadworm and tapeworm. You will need two different procucts for that. Then it would be wise to treat for gill and body flukes. Give your fish a few days rest between treatments.

At this stage, don't use any antibiotics as a preventative measure. Better to keep them for cases of real disease.

HTH

shayesmommy
Sun May 14, 2006, 02:54 PM
ok thanks.
what kind of stuff do you recommend?

Merrilyn
Mon May 15, 2006, 02:35 AM
Not sure of your regulations over in Canada, but first stop would be the aquarium shop, and ask what is available.

The product you need to treat tape worm and gill flukes is Praziquantal. That would be sold under a range of different brands.

The product needed to treat nematodes and round worms is Levamisole. Once again, there will be a lot of brands available.

In Australia, these product are sold over the counter in Aquarium shops, but you may need to go to your vet, depending on your local regulations.

shayesmommy
Mon May 15, 2006, 03:00 AM
ok thank you very much. it was a great help.
i looked today but didnt ask. my huge kid was sleeping on me so i wanted to get outta there.
but i will go back tomorrow on my way to pick them up.

shayesmommy
Wed May 17, 2006, 12:24 AM
hah. i got some and its all in one bottle as food.
so i was lucky.
thanks again