PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about repairing cracked glass tank?

Topkath
Sat May 13, 2006, 09:35 AM
Hey All,

Have an extra high 3ft tank that I just love, it has a rounded front.. i.e. the front and two sides of the tank are all one piece of glass, the front corners are rounded off. Anyway it's cracked starting from the side back of the tank about 3/4 of the way to the bottom, then the crack continues to where the glass starts to curve, then the crack goes to the bottom of the tank... It's a clean crack, not "spiderwebbing" if you know what I mean. I don't want to have to get rid of it, if I can help it.

Has anyone ever repaired a tank that's cracked? or how would you suggest going about it?

TIA...

Kath.

Liverpool_pete
Sat May 13, 2006, 11:21 AM
Kath

Thats a preety bad place to have a crack. IMHO i would throw it out.
As i understand it if a tank is cracked you have two options, replace the cracked piece of glass or glue a piece of glass over the cracked piece with a fair overlap onto good glass.
As it appears to be on the rounded part of the tank you will have a very hard time getting a piece of glass the same shape or with the same curve so i would say you would have to get a new piece of glass to replace the whole frount. That being said i think you would find it cheaper to get a new tank.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Peter

Seaview
Sat May 13, 2006, 01:17 PM
kath,

unfortunatly i have to aggree with Peter. I have personally been repairing tanks for the past 5 years through the shop and curved glass tanks we never repair for the fact that the panel must be replace as mentioned by Peter. patches can work but it must be a flat surface. if you can find a glass moulder then you might have the chance of getting a panel that could be curved to the shape you require. we have never done it but have toyed over the idea, however pricing is a nothing thing. getting curved glass might not be the cheapest option when comparing to a new tank.

mike

Xtreme
Sun May 14, 2006, 02:11 AM
Hi,
We have a similar mould to what you have. What are the exact dimensions of the tank? Unfortunately, it cant be mended unless it is a flat surface, we may have something second hand to help you out.
Let me know of the size.

Rebecca

Topkath
Mon May 15, 2006, 02:38 AM
Well, that'll teach me... :cry: Packed all the kids into the car, and took off to Taren Point today... only to discover that you were closed!!! HMMMM. :( Anyway, I'll try and pop in one day this week if I can. Are you in every day Rebecca?

kalebjarrod
Mon May 15, 2006, 11:08 AM
yep

its buggered

buy a new and mproved bigger one

Xtreme
Mon May 15, 2006, 11:47 AM
Hey TopKath,

Yes im in everyday, 10-6 tues-fri, 10-5 sat-sun
Can you post a pic of the whole tank?

Looking forward to seeing you!

Rebecca

Topkath
Tue May 16, 2006, 01:12 AM
Hey Rebecca,

Full pikkies of the tank. Really hopin you can help (Without breaking the bank, of course...) Hubby keeps telling me I've got another tank, and we should just toss this one... :cry: Dont like that Idea... I'd rather sell the new one and replace the old.

Topkath
Tue May 16, 2006, 04:53 AM
BTW - Width 932mm depth 375mm height 600mm