PDA

View Full Version : Well here I go

ashley
Sat May 13, 2006, 01:31 AM
Hi Everyone
Well I have finally taken the plunge. These are my very first Discus that I have purchased. l picked them up last weekend.
I have waited so long and have made sure my tank was spot on before putting these guys in the water.
2 snakeskins
2 Turks , both are only young, and a larger fish I have been told could be a crystal red but I have no idea, I think it has some pidgon blood as it has some black spotting on it, someone may be able to tell me what it is.

Ashley

Mulisha
Sat May 13, 2006, 01:44 AM
I'm jealous nice choice of discus they look very nice indeed how old are they becuase one looks much older then the other. :P :P

But that tanks looks lovely 8-) 8-)

Darth_discus
Sat May 13, 2006, 01:51 AM
Those pictures are very nice and i like the discus in the 3rd picture.

You should think about entering those picture in the photo comp and i think they will win personally.

:D 8-) :D 8-)

Discus 41
Sat May 13, 2006, 10:39 AM
Hi ashley,

Nice pics of your fish you should be pritty happy with Discus you have chosen great set up of your tank too, is totally planted out cos looks magic

discus000
Sat May 13, 2006, 10:43 AM
How about a full tank pic.

Nice fishes btw.

mcloughlin2
Sat May 13, 2006, 11:03 AM
Ashley, first of all looks to me as if your "crystal red" is a golden crystal which as you guessed is a type of PB... :P

Secondly it seems to be a very healthy specimen as it has very little eyes (A Sign of a very good growth rate )

They are also some very nice little turks and SS... :wink:

Goodluck,

Sam

ashley
Sat May 13, 2006, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the comments Guys,
Here is a full tank pic as requested.
My tank is only young so it is'nt very established as far as plant growth is concerned, Im not running any co2, and hav'nt done a great deal as far as fertalization, for my plants.

Ashley

nicholas76
Sat May 13, 2006, 02:57 PM
Great tank Ashley!

what type of substrate is that? looks really nice and clean.

You may want to consider ferts as you may start experiencing die off and you dont want that.

also research DIY Co2 kits as your plany growth will be massive.

ashley
Sat May 13, 2006, 11:29 PM
HI Nick
The substrate is pool filter sand, it holds the plants well, as is is fairly fine but not too fine.
If anyone wishes to use this sand for there substrate, you must wash it really well as the one I bought was full of really fine dust.
I washed it 3 times, and when I filled the tank it clouded up really bad. It cleared after about a week , but I thought I would have to empty it and start again.
I will have to start fertalizing soon as there is a little bit of die back happening on the Blue Stricta.

Ashley :)

Inspiringfish
Sun May 14, 2006, 01:46 AM
DANG!!! Beautiful!!!!!

discus000
Sun May 14, 2006, 02:09 AM
What a nice looking tank.
Should look good when the plants starts to take off.

How big is your tank?

nicholas76
Sun May 14, 2006, 02:43 AM
Thanks for the reply mate.

The best way to get around cloudy substrate is the hard way Im afraid. Its best to clean in in small portions I find.

Fill a bucket half way!!

I simply stick the hose in the bucket, swirl it about and let it overflow.

Its quicker with 2 people helping out and you dont miss much ! instant clean tank in 1-2 days max

ashley
Sun May 14, 2006, 04:02 AM
Hey Discus000
This tank is an Aqua1 4ft long and holds 285 ltrs, its quite deep at 20 inches and its width is around 18 inches, sorry guys Im an oldie and am still working in inches.
Check out my album ,it will give you a better idea of its dimentions.

Ashley :lol: