PDA

View Full Version : Using acid for pH

k9outfit
Fri May 12, 2006, 06:48 PM
:banghead I'm trying to get all the tanks ready for my fish arriving on Monday. But, since I don't have time to let the water really age with the peat, the pH isn't going down as far as is necessary for the new guys - they need 6.8. I've resorted to adding acid - Sodium Bisulphate. The ph goes down, but rebounds after 24 hours due to the GH & KH (6 & 3 respectively, after water running through peat for 24 hours).

If I add enough acid, will the pH eventually stay down????? Or will it keep rebounding, no matter how much acid I use???? Is there a way to calculate how much acid would be effective - that is, assuming that there is a point where the pH wouldn't rebound.... :roll:

shayesmommy
Fri May 12, 2006, 08:08 PM
hey .
i use discus buffer. But you add it per gallon until your desired ph. 6.8 took me 2 days. for 80 gallons. and its stayed dowwn even when we took water out and put more in. YOu only have to use it once a month or every water change.
If you go to edmonton. I know they have a big bottle at BIG ALS. Its not bad priced either for how much i seen them sell it in calgary.
its a blue bottle with a big discus on it. Its called "Discus Buffer"
its powder form. Its by seachem.
i like it and it lower GH. It says it lowers it and keeps it lowered.
Good luck and hope i helped.