PDA

View Full Version : Naughty Discus.

Mulisha
Thu May 11, 2006, 07:22 AM
Hi i have 7 Red Turks and in a 5ft tank and yes i lost one but they seem to nip each others fins and i thogght they would grow out of it but they haven't and i was woundering can you do anything to stop or do you let them keep going? If i do let them keep nipping can they kill each other becuase when feeding time they tend to do it alot more. Can this cause infection and is this caused by stress and if so will salt help?

Thanks Rick.

Merrilyn
Thu May 11, 2006, 07:31 AM
Fin nipping can develop into a bit of a habit. Are they all doing it, or is one the main culprit.

They don't usually cause much damage, but it can be annoying. You can use a bit of salt to help the healing, but not if you have plants in the tank.

Have you got a UV on that tank. If they continue to do the fin nipping stunt, it might pay you to get a UV to keep the bacteria levels in the water low.

Mulisha
Thu May 11, 2006, 07:42 AM
Ok thanks i just add a bit of salt each w/c and see how i go but they all nip mainly the bigger ones there is one poor fella that gets really stuck into though :cry:

I'll see how i go though.

G-1000
Thu May 11, 2006, 08:05 AM
After a long absence, Mulisha returns to the forums !

G

Mulisha
Thu May 11, 2006, 12:28 PM
Yeah i went to Adeliade to live for a while with my Aunty becuase i couldn't get a decent job now i'm back on the Sunny coast in QLD and getting myself a aprentship in Diseal Fitting. :D

I think these days you won't earn good money down the track if u don't get a trade so i hope i'm doing the right thing. :?

Peaches
Thu May 11, 2006, 07:49 PM
I don't know about the nipping, but make sure that you're using the right kind of salt. Here in the US they sell something called Aquarium Salt (not sure if they sell in it Aus.) that's safe for plants.

Maybe he annoys them :lol:

:shock: ok...not funny...

Merrilyn
Fri May 12, 2006, 06:01 AM
Hey Rick, good luck with the apprenticeship mate. You are DEFINATELY doing the right thing.

It may seem like a drag now, but down the track you'll be pleased you stuck it out.

Mulisha
Fri May 12, 2006, 06:25 AM
Yeah that's what a few friends and family said you put in the hard yards while ya young but it will pay off later on down the track. 8-) 8-)

Cheers Rick.

Mulisha
Sun May 14, 2006, 05:50 AM
Sorry edited.