PDA

View Full Version : Normal or Not (edited)

GIGGO
Sat May 06, 2006, 01:58 PM
HI,I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANY OF YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO TELL ME IF I HAVE A RETARDED DISCUS OR IF MY DISCUS IS JUST FASCINATED BY HIS OWN REFLECTION.AS HE SPENDS 90% OF HIS TIME LOOKING AT THE BOTTOM OF THE TANK,AS THERE IS NO GRAVEL ON THE BOTTOM OF MY TANK.

kkiu
Sat May 06, 2006, 09:36 PM
Don't you hate it when your caps lock button is broken?

* The fish could be looking for food. I reckon they are always hungry and hence looking for food.

* It could have swim bladder issues where it can't keep proper balance. This could result it in looking downwards all the time.

* Maybe your fish has a mental disability as you put so elegantly.

Cheers

taksan
Sun May 07, 2006, 12:20 AM
Please do not use all caps when posting messages it is considered shouting and very rude.
As for your Discus his behaviour isn't unusual by definition most Discus are a few slices short of a loaf.

Merrilyn
Sun May 07, 2006, 02:05 AM
Hi Giggo and welcome to the forum. If your fish has just recently been transferred into a bare bottom tank, then he will be trying to work out what is going on, and wondering why he can't swim thru to the fish on the other side.

He will eventually get used to it, but you can make the transition easier for him, by scattering a handful of gravel or sand across the bottom of the tank, so he recognises that it really is the floor, or by painting the outside bottom of the tank black, which cuts down on the reflection.