PDA

View Full Version : Blue Diamond Concern

Phlipper
Thu May 04, 2006, 01:06 PM
Hi, one of my young Diamonds has been behaving more abnormally lately. Water parameter are all good in an established tank....PH 6.7..Kh about 3 points, 0 nitrite, 0 ammonia etc etc

This particular fish has since arrival 2 months ago been bullied ocassionally by the other Blue Diamond of the same age who has actually teamed up with a Red Turk. I can understand that there would be some rivalry here between the two blues who I think are both males, but the last week or so the lesser has become more of a recluse than before.

He has since arrival { all fish arrived at the same time and age } been bullied, and has always changed colour frequently from rich blue to black to bleached blue, often within a period of no more than a few minutes...and I'm sure he isn't a chamelion :lol: He eats well most of the time when he gets to get to the food before the others, but has become even more reclusive in between feeds.

He seem to retain the very dark hue most of the time now and hides in the corner, will stress cause him to darken or should I now be concerned about disease or similar, he does seem to have a slightly bloated belly, not sure why, but it's not excessive...........so what do you think would be wisest action needed, if any ???

I'm loathe to treat the whole tank with chemicals as it is filled with copious quantities of thriving plants as well as things like Yoyo Loaches and Bristlenoses, I'd hate to start losing them as well. I have quarantine facilities where I could put him into by himself, but wonder whether that in itself will cause more stress and sicken him. ?????

sammigold
Fri May 05, 2006, 01:44 AM
Hi Phlipper, they are similar symptons to what mine is displaying.... Stress can cause them to go darker and hide... He may also be slightly constipated...

You could try what I am doing with mine; separating him and dosing him with Epsom salts at a rate of 1tspn per 40litres leave it for 24 hours then do water change and then do a normal salt treatment using cooking salt or rock salt (not table salt) at a rate of 1 heaped tspn per 40litres first day and then next day add another heaped teaspoon per 40litres....

Maybe you will want to do it the other way round salt first and then if he is still looking a little bloated the epsom salts...

I am sure LR will be able to confirm which way to go....

G-1000
Fri May 05, 2006, 05:29 AM
Go with sammii's advice mate.

Thats right on the money IMO

G

Bill T.
Fri May 05, 2006, 05:40 AM
How long did you quarantine the new fish for?
Bloated bellies always bother me, so i would keep a close watch on the other fish as well.
In the horrible case that the little fella doesn't make it, it may be useful to get a fish vet to do a dissection to rule out intetinal worms etc.

Merrilyn
Fri May 05, 2006, 06:34 AM
Bloated belly, yet still eating well. Worms maybe. Try some levamisole in an isolation tank Phil, and see how he goes.

I think a lot of imported discus arrive with threadworm. The stress of being bullied allows them to get a foothold and cause problems.

Keep us posted.

Phlipper
Fri May 05, 2006, 07:24 AM
Thanx crew, much appreciated. I have already quarantined him early this morn' as well as his tank mates and dosed with pure rock salt at 1 teaspoon per 25 litres. As an extra precaution I have also dosed with Praziquantel. I'll give it a week and see how it goes, if that doesn't seem to have a desired effect I'll break out the antibacterials I guess, unless you think this is wrong ??? I'll post back with the results later, ta muchly.

Merrilyn
Fri May 05, 2006, 10:37 AM
I don't think it's tapeworm. Symptoms don't sound quite right. Prazi is good for tapeworm and gill flukes, but won't eradicate threadworm and pinworm.

For that you need levamisole dosed at the rate of 1 ml per 7 litres of tank water. The most popular brand seems to be this one http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4547

I'd give that a try and see if it helps. :P