PDA

View Full Version : Cruel?

R3dm4n
Thu May 04, 2006, 01:01 PM
I've just got a few new juvi discus and they will only eat frozen foods (eg discus dinner, blood worms and brine srimp), when i want them to also eat dry granules.
To try an change there ways i'm forcing a hunger strike by only feeding dry food, however its been 1 1/2 days since they've had a proper meal, and they still wont eat granules.
The question that i really want answered is 'should i hold out, and force them into a do or die situation, or just give em what they want?'
And also 'is dry food vital for their diet?'

RJ_Archer
Fri May 05, 2006, 01:10 AM
mate when there hungry they will eat...if they dont eat the food in a couple days give em a good frozen feed

Dave76
Fri May 05, 2006, 04:38 AM
Another thing to try is defrosting some bloodworms in a small amount of water and adding some dry food to this, let it sit a bit then feed to your fish.

Hopefully they'll eat the dry as well as the frozen - keep adding less frozen & more dry each time until they are eating all dry.

Bill T.
Fri May 05, 2006, 05:10 AM
Given a bit of time to settle in, I bet your discus start eating anything you put in the tank. I've been throught his a couple of times - new fish only eating frozen blood worms, which is what they were used to.
You should see them now! Just the other day they were trying to eat a moth on the outside glass surface - very funny!
So I would keep on feeding them what they are used to & introduce little bits of other food. Once one of them has a nibble, the others are sure to follow.

Del
Fri May 05, 2006, 07:13 AM
Initially my discus would not eat colourbits so I soaked the colourbits first in some tank water (about 5 minutes in a shotglass) then added it to the tank (water and all). Because it was soft, they ate it easily.

Now they will eat it dry.

Good luck!

G-1000
Sat May 06, 2006, 06:45 AM
The easiest way to get fish eating dry food is to soak it in a flavour enhancer - i.e garlic gaurd.

I have combined just about every dry food known to be sold and my discus scuff it down everytime.

However, dont be too harsh on juvis food - they wont grow out well.

G