PDA

View Full Version : cable heaters

lovenotthrowdiscus
Thu May 04, 2006, 12:17 PM
just wondering if you use a cable heater do you also need to use a normal tank heater for the water or will the cable heater heat both soil and water?

:wink:

Merrilyn
Thu May 04, 2006, 12:27 PM
You still need a heater for the water. The cable heaters are only intended to heat the substrate, to aid plant growth, and prevent anaerobic bacteria forming.

lovenotthrowdiscus
Thu May 04, 2006, 12:40 PM
cool, that was easy!!!
thanks ladyred
helpful as always :)

vishy
Thu May 04, 2006, 12:55 PM
hey,
Have the 40w red sea one in my 4x2x2, I'm in Perth, WA and find in summer it is plenty if not too much to heat the tnk on its own. Although in winter would recommend two of these units as there isnt enough cable to cover the whole base of a 4x2 leaqving largish gaps of cold areas. Would be better suited to a 3x18 or 4x18 i guess, unsure whether it has aided planted growth but they grow like nuts and have nice white roots
Thanks
Matt

lovenotthrowdiscus
Thu May 04, 2006, 11:09 PM
thanks for that matt,

do have co2 running in your tank or are the plants doing really well just with the cable heater?

vishy
Thu May 04, 2006, 11:26 PM
lol I have pressurised co2 running with a pH controller, also have 6 x 54w HOt5's in the hood with eco-complete gravel :lol:
I think APW have the red sea one on sale atm, although if its a limited budget or anything my first choice would be co2 than more lights than undergravel heating.
Thanks
Matt

lovenotthrowdiscus
Fri May 05, 2006, 10:04 PM
yea i have been looking at Co2 with a PH controller. definetly going to do it hey.where did you pick yours up and how much if you dont mind?
you got any pics of your tank?
yea i saw that they had the red sea one on sale,pretty good price too!!!