PDA

View Full Version : Blue diamond being strange again!!

sammigold
Thu May 04, 2006, 02:04 AM
Hi, My Blue diamond has been acting strangely... ie... one minute he is fine, looks great, bright eyed, fin display..... then all of a sudden he will clamp fins, fade to a really weird beige colour, slant on a 45degreee angle and eyes go really dark....

Performed water change.... checked water conditions.. only one a bit high is nitrates sitting at about 20ppm but they have been like that for quite a while... (cant seem to get them down no matter how many w/c)

all other fish are fine....apart from occaisional flashing...

Have currently separated and dosed with epsom salts in case of constipation related prob....

In addition to the above problem He seems to have scraped his side on something... it is like a big scuff mark with the scales scraped off leaving the white underbody behind No Blood or anything.... should I just keep an eye on things or am I missing something...

I am wondering if maybe I should treat my tank for gill flukes even thought the only sign i have of this is the fish flashing/rubbing a little more often than usual and one of my babies has slight redness at base of gill (pectoral?) fin. (I can never remember proper names when I need to!!)

If I do need to it should be noted that I have 2 clown loaches, 1 gibbecep and 1 bristlenose will I need to move them out or find a medication that they can handle...

sorry for the long winded post I just wanted to make sure of everything..

also.... we did a big filter clean in this tank last week and have been keeping an eye on ammonia levels.... had none... and as I say everyone else in tank seems fine "ladyred" even laying more eggs.....

G-1000
Thu May 04, 2006, 07:11 AM
Sammi,

I think from a diagnostic point of view - you have a injury to the fish (the scrape on the side) but you have also cleaned your filter out right? This would perhaps elevate the bacteria levels in the tank water a little and potentially release some nasties into the water.

These nasties, coupled to the injury would be causing the fish stress via an oppurtunistic infection.

If it were me, i would make a pre-emptive antibiotic treatment to cover the fish for infection purposes.

BUT - Having said that, I would also wait for Ladyred to provide her pearls of wisdom as I am not willing to back myself completely if you know what I mean

G

taksan
Thu May 04, 2006, 07:49 AM
I'd try a little Melefix .... seems to perk them up if they are injured.

Merrilyn
Thu May 04, 2006, 10:22 AM
Sammi, you know my favourite treatment for an ailing fish with no specific symptoms, is salt.

Use some cooking salt, or plain rock salt at the rate of one heap teaspoon per 40 litres of water. On the second day, add another heap teaspoon per 40 litres of water, and maintain that level for a week.

Your loach and gibbies won't appreciate the salt, so best to move the affected fish to a hospital tank for treatment.

sammigold
Thu May 04, 2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks guys... and ladyred...I have moved him to a hospital tank and last night dosed with epsom salts as he had been funny prior to the injury.. similar symptoms to last time but not as severe...thought he might be slightly constipated...
Today he seems to have perked up... no clamped fins.... and good colour... though eyes still a bit dark .... tomorrow will do w/c and dose with salt treatment as advised.... his scrape seems to be healing already.... I will keep you updated on his progress... thanks again...