PDA

View Full Version : red alencer

barramundi
Wed May 03, 2006, 09:50 AM
Hi all,

Just a pic of my baby red alencer now getting some color, myself and squid picked these nice looking specimens up- how about a pic from you squid.

john

mcloughlin2
Wed May 03, 2006, 09:57 AM
Looks like a fish with great potential to turn into one of those beauties we often see.... :wink:

How many of these guys do you own barra? :P

barramundi
Wed May 03, 2006, 10:12 AM
Sadly only a few came into lfs he is the only one for me but squid got a couple,i have an order in for a couple more.

john

marg
Wed May 03, 2006, 02:09 PM
Very pretty fish Barramundi.

Regards,

Marg.

Simone
Thu May 04, 2006, 02:18 AM
barramundi, she is just beautiful! That is going to be my new desktop if thats ok!? :)

sammigold
Thu May 04, 2006, 02:49 AM
Very Nice... one of my favourite colour strains...!

Darth_discus
Thu May 04, 2006, 06:34 AM
very nice fish although a youngling, destined for greatness

Ben
Thu May 04, 2006, 01:51 PM
Great pic's John!

I love the classic types!

Keep us posted as they grow.

Cheers
Ben

Squid
Thu May 04, 2006, 10:48 PM
Barra - here's a shambles of photo. Got to get a better one of them, but they wont keep still. Anyway - I've gotta talk to you about that 3rd one I have - because its getting belted by these two brutes. May do better with your little guys I think.

Squid

barramundi
Fri May 05, 2006, 11:49 AM
Nice one simone glad you like it no probs it would be a nice desktop.

Hey squid sad mate they are nice looking discus i thought you were going to try it in another tank-be glad to put it in with mine if you have no luck.

john

Crocky
Sun May 07, 2006, 12:48 AM
Hi all can someone clear this up for me about red rose and red alquecers.Has the rr or ra got bars,are they the same fish with 2 different names.
I have talked to several different people about this and got several different anwsers.

Anyway there nice looking fish barra and squid,keep posting pics of them,its great to have a look at what other people have.
It's a pitty more people don't post ,as it's said a picture tell a thousands words.

Brad

Merrilyn
Sun May 07, 2006, 01:51 AM
Brad, rose red and red alenquer are the same fish just with a different name. They are a naturally occuring wild fish, found near the town of Alenquer, hence the name.

They are a magnificent red/brown fish. Some of mine have bars, and some don't. I've got a nice female here you can take with you, when you come down in June. Cross her with the RGD male, and you should get some very interesting offspring. :P

OscarManAlpha
Sun May 07, 2006, 04:49 AM
This fish appeared out of a spawning of a Red Snakeskin and a Blue Turq.

All of the other sibblings are Blue Turqs.

I think this fish is a Red of sorts...

Any opinions most welcomed.

Cheers,

Mark

Merrilyn
Sun May 07, 2006, 05:11 AM
Throwback to the wild brown ???? Just love it Mark. Send him to me any time you like :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

barramundi
Sun May 07, 2006, 08:59 AM
Hi all,

Mark what a nice discus yep looks like a wild- squid knows his wild's better than me.
Merrilyn i think it would be better in my tank as what a nice pair it would make with my red alencer just look at both photo's what a match!!

john

Merrilyn
Sun May 07, 2006, 09:07 AM
You're right John. They would produce fantastic fry :shock: . Now all we have to do is talk Mark into to letting him go
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OscarManAlpha
Sun May 07, 2006, 05:19 PM
If I ever get him toilet trained, I'll let you guy's know. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Mark

discusjim
Sun May 07, 2006, 10:50 PM
A rose red is not the same as a red alenquer. They are both brown based fish. It would be the same as you say a cobalt and a blue diamond is the same. A rose red or virgin red is a mutation out of a red/brown fish. A rose red is is solid colored with no or little pattern.The name alenquer is often used by asianbreeder to fancy up there brown based fish. There is were all the mistakes come from. I think it is not far to say that a rose red is close to a wild based fish it doesn't look like it. I wanna post some pic but need to ask permission from the owners.The fish in the picture's here are virgin red/ rose red, not alenquers. If anyone has a other opinion i would like to now. JIM

Squid
Mon May 08, 2006, 12:11 AM
Thought a huge debate may start soon about reds! To start with, is there a difference between Alenquer and Alencer. 'Alencer' has been a trade name for this type of fish back since 1990, long before the reds of today where about in their current forms. I often wonder though whether the names where accidentally written down wrong and it just stuck. I'm tending to believe that Alencers are more like Rose Red. I have wild caught Alenquers and they are totally different. Asian breeders have a lot to answer for with all this if you ask my opinion. A fair bit of marketing and 'jazzing-up' of common fish occurs. I just wish we could use Heiko Blehers' idea of categoristion of discus, EG Solid Red discus variety X,y,or z, or Blue discus variety X,Y etc. He has an excellent system which I use when selling fry. If anyone has seen his posters (Blehers discus - usually on the wall at most LFS!), then you'll know what I'm talking about. They're all reds to me! I just hate the crap thats snuck in most LFS - 'These fish are Laser Greens' , and then go to Sydney or Brisbane and the same fish "these are Mosaic green turks' WTF?

Anyway, marketing is just about making money I guess. Anyway - heres a photo of wild Alenquer variety fish, and the Alencer type is in the photos above

Merrilyn
Mon May 08, 2006, 03:13 AM
What an interesting topic, thanks for the input guys.

Seems all the books, and all the experts have different opinions. Ya gotta love it. Marketing sells.

Squid, that's a magnificent fish. Would you call her a Red Alenquer or an Alencer?

I'm inclined to think the two names mean the same thing, just a case of misspelling. What does everyone else think.

As for Rose red and Virgin Red, I thought Virgin red was a wild caught fish. Anyone got any thoughts on that?

Squid
Tue May 09, 2006, 12:23 AM
Lardred - I'll call her an Alenquer, cause thats where she's from. I reckon theres been a horrible spelling mistake also - but its stuck for good I reckon. Except at my place.

I really dont know about virgin reds and stuff. I have had some wild red fish ages ago that look just like the virgin reds that you can get these days.

Squid

Squid
Tue May 09, 2006, 12:24 AM
Ladyred - sorry for spelling your name wrong. You definitely aren't a Lardred! (seen your photo in the Amazon lounge!!!)

Squid

ozarowana
Wed May 10, 2006, 02:49 AM
I have always thought rose reds and alencers where different (looks wise). RR = solid, no striations Alencers = similar fish but have striations which cover only part of the body, usually forehead and anal fin.

Now blue fish is were I get confused i.e.
Cobalts, violet reflections, blue knights, reflection deep, blue reflection :? :?: