PDA

View Full Version : White stuff in tank

Hedphelym
Wed May 03, 2006, 07:58 AM
Today when the lights went on, i saw this underneeth the box where i keep the fishbabies in my tank.

http://home.minlos.no/~stigatle.steffensen/DSCF0727.JPG
(big image).

i dont know what this is, i thought maybe it could be some of my fish laying sime kind of eggs..

it looks almost like spiderweb.

if there is something wrong, then if you know a treatment, then let me know :) thanks.

wickedglass
Wed May 03, 2006, 08:42 AM
It looks like fungus to me ... anyone second that?
conventional aquarium fungicide gets rid of it

Hedphelym
Wed May 03, 2006, 08:45 AM
all the fish seems fine.
in my tank i have 3 mangrove roots, and lots of plants.

is there any particular reason for this to come if it's fungus? left-over food or something like that?
or is it just a common thing that can happen?

wickedglass
Wed May 03, 2006, 12:26 PM
I got something like this recently in a tank. It's a natural thing to occur, it happens in nature all the time. My fungus experience happened after I dropped some new driftwood into the tank. I got a bushy fungus growing with filaments thinner than hair, and white on one end of the wood near the substrate..
sometimes food that drops to the bottom and isn't eaten will grow fungus, expecially in an acidic environment.
I cleaned (syphoned) mine off and that was the end of that! I guess if you can, then clean it off, to be on the safe side. if it starts taking hold in other parts of the tank and looks like getting out of control, then maybe consider the fungicide as a last option. In my experience, fungus tends to be quite localised.
fungus could come from anywhere, really, its spores tend to be airborne, but it could come from your hands too, or from a fish net, or new plants ... etc

Merrilyn
Wed May 03, 2006, 12:33 PM
Could be fungus, but I'm interested in what sort of fish you have in that tank. If you have discus in there, then I'd say it's probably just excess slime from the discus. Perfectly normal, and nothing to worry about.

If you don't have discus in the tank, then it could well be a fungus of some kind. I'd just just increase your water changes for the next week, and it should clear up.

Hedphelym
Wed May 03, 2006, 05:52 PM
i have 3 discus, and 2 african butterflyfishes, and some tetras etc.
so yeah, it could be that.

i have syphoned, so it should be better now.

i havent seen any more then what i saw this morning. but i'll just see again tomorrow.

wickedglass
Wed May 03, 2006, 10:44 PM
I love african butterflies! they're very interesting to breed.

Hedphelym
Thu May 04, 2006, 12:49 PM
i really like them, i feed them all kinds of stuff (the african butterfly fish), they really like spiders.

they are so fun when you feed them.

I have one that's black, and one that's brown, dont know what makes the difference. but i certainly enjoy looking at them both.