PDA

View Full Version : Worming

Dearra
Tue May 02, 2006, 01:19 PM
Hi everyone. As I am only new to owning Discus, I have found this forum to be very informative. I have read and learnt so much in the past few weeks. But could somebody please explain to me, how do you know if a fish needs worming. I never knew you had to worm a fish. Is it something you do on a regular basis. I would appreciate any advice I could get.

Thanks Dearra

Inspiringfish
Tue May 02, 2006, 07:24 PM
Hello Dearra, There is alot of information on de-worming. See "should I deworm" on the forum. there are others also. What I gathered through this site is that you should de-worm twice a year using a medication called Levamisole. Search around on this forum,,, you'll find a ton of stuff!!

See LadyRed, I can do it, I can be helpful!! :wave2

dntx5b9
Tue May 02, 2006, 08:15 PM
I don't understand de-worming. If the fish has worms, then, OK, de-worm. But once you get rid of the worms, why would have to de-worm regulary, like twice a year? What are people doing to re-introduce worms so often? I had my one discus for almost a year, and not knowing about de-worming, haven't. That doesn't necessarily mean my discus automatically has worms, right? Just wondering ...

Cliffeh
Tue May 02, 2006, 08:27 PM
Some foods, plants and other fish can introduce worms by accident so I guess unless you are feeding dry food and keeping the environment locked down there is a chance of worms... there are two school of thought... firstly those that worm as a matter of course and secondly those that only do it in response to symptoms such as a good appetite but looking thin etc.

Like Inspiringfish says there is a lot of detail if you search around Dearra but only you can decide if you need to.

For the next year I will worm twice or three times using 'wormer plus' which is a product that some discus breeders carry here in the UK, this is mainly due to me adding new fish to my tanks recently. Next year if I don't add any I may not bother.

The main thing is that there is not a right or wrong way unless you specifically notice an issue that can be indicative of worms and wish to treat for it, otherwise it is a matter of choice

Just my two pence

Cliffe

Merrilyn
Wed May 03, 2006, 04:38 AM
Mark - good on you. Sharing information is what this site's all about. Everyone, even someone new to discus, has something to offer :P

Cliffeh - excellent answer. Your information is absolutely correct.

Dearra - a very warm welcome to the forum. As you can see we have a wonderful group of members here, only too willing to help. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need. We were all beginners once.

:P

Merrilyn
Wed May 03, 2006, 04:48 AM
I don't understand de-worming. If the fish has worms, then, OK, de-worm. But once you get rid of the worms, why would have to de-worm regulary, like twice a year? What are people doing to re-introduce worms so often? I had my one discus for almost a year, and not knowing about de-worming, haven't. That doesn't necessarily mean my discus automatically has worms, right? Just wondering ...

That's a very valid point. I don't think you ever eliminate worms totally from your fish or from the environment. The idea is to reduce the worm burden so that the fish's own immune system can deal with the remaining worms, and keep them under control.

If your fish is looking happy and healthy, then whether or not he has worms is not important. The important thing is that his system is coping and he's not showing any symptoms. If he started to look a bit thin, or if you noticed small red worms protruding from the anus when the fish is at rest, then you should de worm straight away.

It's well known that a lot of the breeding farms overseas are troubled by worms, and the fish arrive here with a worm burden. Best to treat imported fish as soon as you get them, just in case. Most of the fish in your local fish shop will have been imported.

Dearra
Wed May 03, 2006, 01:32 PM
Thankyou everyone for your information. I am sure I will be annoying you all again for more advice in the future. I have had fish for about 10 years and in that time I have learnt a lot. When I first started, I thought you just put water in the tank and that was all too it. Boy, wasn't I wrong. After 10 years I now know there is so much more to it, and I am a little wiser, but still learning everyday. My Discus have cost me a lot of money and I love them very much, and will be doing everything possible to keep them happy and healthy with your help.

Once again, thankyou all
Dearra

marg
Wed May 03, 2006, 01:54 PM
Dearra,

You won't be annoying anyone - we are all here to help and learn from one another!! No question is too silly - whatever your problem there is always someone ready to try and help you.

Welcome to our little Community.,

Regards,

Marg.