PDA

View Full Version : How difficult is it to breed wild discus?

wild_amazon
Mon May 01, 2006, 04:56 PM
I like to know if anyone have managed to breed wild discus. I am referring to wild x wild not one wild x tank raised.
I know that Heckel x Heckel is very very difficult to breed but how about brown, blue or green?
Are they a lot more difficult to breed than tank raised discus?
I like to get 2 - 3 discus but I am not sure now what to get but eventually I like to get offsprings from the fish.
My lfs can get 10 cm wild royal blue for $280/each and green discus for $240, are they too expensive?

Thanks.

Merrilyn
Tue May 02, 2006, 02:14 AM
A couple of our members are having success breeding wild discus. If you wait, I'm sure they will come along shortly and give you some answers.

One of the major problems seems to be that they arrive here in very poor condition, and are slow to begin feeding in captivity. It can take up to 6 months before they are in fit condition to even consider breeding.

wild_amazon
Tue May 02, 2006, 03:05 AM
Thanks Ladyred,

I'll wait for more advise.
Also can I put 3 adult discus in a 2'x18"x18" tank that has a cannister filter 600 ltr/hour (Eheim 2213) with only one water change/week?

Merrilyn
Tue May 02, 2006, 03:37 AM
That's around 120 litres if my calculations are correct.

So yes, you could have three adult discus in there (but not wilds). Your filtration is good, but I'd prefer to see two waterchanges a week, instead of just one.

Wilds need a much greater water volume than that.

Squid
Mon May 08, 2006, 12:39 AM
Wild Amazon - hi mate. Once you've kept wild discus, you never go back to hybrids!! But you'll have to win the lotto to keep up with your hobby. Wild discus are just as easy to keep as the other types, but they do like a more quiet environment, with a lot more water. Breeding them isn't hard - use my motto 'create the Amazon for them, and the'll think they're at home!' Once they are 'at home' , they'll breed for sure. They can be a bit more aggressive too. If you have say 1 male, and 2 females in tank, you had better get the spare female out after the other two have paired up. They can be very brutal. Now those wild fish (Royal Blue and green) are most likely from Bayfish in Brissy. Very good quality blues (I'll take a photo for you from my ones) and the Green is most likely a Japura river green and there is only one left. The Royal blues are easy to sex also, as the female has less blue lines. All I can say about breeding wild stuff is that they're much better parents.

With your smaller tank, I would keep wild fish out of it. 48x15x18 is what I keep my wild fish (in batches of 4) in - about 200 litres. I can send more info to you if you wish - just pm me - or continue this thread so others can read. I just got these photos from the Bayfish website www.bayfish.com.au

They have actual photos of their fish in the holding tanks (sometimes) so you know what you're getting.

Squid