PDA

View Full Version : keeping Geophagus with discus in a sand bottom tank?

vince
Mon May 01, 2006, 05:11 AM
What do you guys think of keeping Geophagus (eg. G. altifrons, etc)

with discus in a sand bottom tank?

I suppose the geophagus fish have similar water requirements, it will constantly "filter" the sand and prevent the sand from going bad.

Just that, i guess Geophagus is an aggressive feeder and will compete with discus in feeding time.

Has any one had any experience?

vince

Merrilyn
Mon May 01, 2006, 05:24 AM
Vince I had 6 altifrons in with my discus in a sand bottom tank. While they were small, they were wonderful, and kept the bottom of the tank beautifully clean, despite the fact that they kept digging out the plants.

Within 6 months they had grown much too big and too boisterous for the discus, and I had to move them.

Some of the smaller eartheaters would be fine, like the 'orange heads' or 'red heads', anything that stays under 6 or 7 cm in length.

vince
Mon May 01, 2006, 05:48 AM
Hey, Merrilyn:

How are you, mate?

Did your G. altifrons compete with your discus for food?

I suppose even for the smallest "south american eartheaters", G. rio Pindare . they can still attain to the size of 15cm.

I am not sure about the red/orange head you said. Have you got a picture?

Many thanx

vince

Proteus
Mon May 01, 2006, 05:53 AM
I have Altis in my main discus display tank, with sand... no problems at all.

My pair of altis are both approx 20cm

My other 8 altis are a little more wild, they cant be kept with anything other than more altis

vince
Mon May 01, 2006, 05:59 AM
anyone can kindly post a picture?

many thanx

Merrilyn
Mon May 01, 2006, 11:57 AM
The altifrons have grown into magnificent fish Vince. Most of them are 20cm or over. They now live happily in the ten foot Jebo, all thirteen of them.

Merrilyn
Mon May 01, 2006, 12:01 PM
and a closeup

lovenotthrowdiscus
Mon May 01, 2006, 10:37 PM
that tank is huge!!!

have you got any closer pics man?
be keen to see some more