PDA

View Full Version : white eye

m1
Sun Apr 30, 2006, 04:45 PM
hi
over the last day or so one of my discus's eye has turned white. looks perfectly healthy otherwise. any idea what might have caused this? could it have just banged into some thing because they do get a bit scitish sometimes

Merrilyn
Mon May 01, 2006, 01:05 AM
Can you post your water parameters, like pH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. GH would also be good.

Is it just one fish, showing cloudiness in one eye, or any of the others starting to show the same symptoms?

For the moment, you can add salt to the water, just plain cooking salt available from the supermarket (don't use table salt) at the rate of one heap teaspoon per 40 litres of water. Second day add another heap teaspoon per 40 litres, and maintain that level of salt for the next week, or until you see some improvement in the eye.

Cloudy eyes caused by injury in the tank, will usually heal in a few days. The salt will reduce the bacteria count in the water, and aid healing.

m1
Mon May 01, 2006, 04:02 AM
ph: 6.7 amonia: 0 nitrite: 0 nitrate: was 10 just w/c though gh: i havnt tested using normal tap water to give u a idea of gh.

no other fish are showing the same symtoms.

is it ok to use marine salt as i keep marine fish to so have lots of marine salt also is it ok to put salt in with my bristlenose catfish?

Merrilyn
Wed May 03, 2006, 06:18 AM
Your water sounds fine. it would appear that your fish has bumped into something, and damaged the surface of the eye. This usually heals quite well, with no scar.

Don't use marine salt, it has other additives in there.. The only salt you need is plain cooking salt.

Your catfish won't appreciate the salt in the water, so perhaps just try keeping the water very clean with daily water changes to aid the healing of the eye.