PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of ammonia

KAAZ
Sun Apr 30, 2006, 02:03 PM
Hey guys,

As my topic says, I've got ammonia problems.
it's been about a week and a half now, and no matter what I put in to get rid of the ammonia.
I just keeps coming back, I've tried ammo lock and stress zyme and it just doesn't get rid of ammonia....

ammonia levels was really bad like 6.0 to 7.0ppm, but after I put in ammo lock it has come down to 2.0 to 3.0ppm.

But it hasn't changed since.

Anyone know how I could get rid of ammonia?

Cheers

k9outfit
Sun Apr 30, 2006, 07:09 PM
Can you get "Prime" from Seachem? It doesn't get rid of Ammonia (you'll still have the readings), rather detoxifies it, along with nitrite & nitrate. Use 5x the normal dose. It doesn't seem to stall the tank cycle either.

kalebjarrod
Sun Apr 30, 2006, 09:20 PM
how long has the tank been going for and what size W/C do you do?

have you added any extra fish to your tank?

have you cleaned your filter or the gravel recently?

Merrilyn
Mon May 01, 2006, 08:03 AM
Kaaz is this a new tank that you are still cycling.

Do you have any fish in there?

What sort of filtration are you using?

If you have fish, your tank needs an urgent water change to remove the ammonia.

Ammonia is produced by fish waste and stale food rotting in the tank, as well as some plant matter. It's the first stage of your nitrogen cycle. You need bacteria in your filter to break down the toxic ammonia into nitrite, which is also toxic, and then another type of bacteria to convert that to the less toxic nitrate.

Do have test kits. Please post your water parameters, including pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and hardness.

Ammonia is very dangerous, and will kill your fish.

Nathan
Mon May 01, 2006, 08:07 AM
also try feeding the fish half the ammount each day, that will help with fish waste and also excess food. keep adding products like ammo lock, also a good one is amtrite down, it does really well also u cant overdose on it. if u have fish in there then u may want to try and find another tank for them to move to while u cycle your tank.

HTH
nathan