PDA

View Full Version : Feeding tetra colour bits

vince
Sun Apr 30, 2006, 02:13 AM
Hey, everyone,

i am just wondering is there any problems to feed my blue fish(blue diamond, turq etc.) tetra colour bits?

I have heard people saying feeding white swan discus colour bits make them look red. How about blue fish?

I have been feeding my fish for about a week now. So far, no problems.

Please give some advice

many thnx

vince

madaboutfish
Sun Apr 30, 2006, 02:58 AM
Hi Vince,

I am not sure about the colour enhancing properties of tetra bits as I also feed other colour enhancers but in my case my Blue Diamond had a slight pinkish tinge and orange on the caudal and pectoral fins.

Nick

vince
Sun Apr 30, 2006, 03:02 AM
thanks mate

See, that is the kind of thing i do not like..

I like blue fish to be truely blue ....

I may think about shifting to other branded food.

I would really like to try other tetra food. like tetra prima...etc

Unfortunately we do not get them here in Australia

vince

vince
Thu May 04, 2006, 12:03 AM
I have been feeding my blue diamond fish for about 2 weeks now.

The blue fish has picked up some pinkish colour on the body.

obviously, tetra colour bits is not good for blue diamond.

Suc_Sid
Thu May 04, 2006, 03:45 AM
Hi Vince,

I've fed my blue diamond Tetra Bits for almost 2 years and there hasn't been any change in colour or pink hue etc.

Squid
Thu May 04, 2006, 11:09 PM
Same here - I feed all my BDs tetra bits with no colour cganges. BDs get their blue colour from the difraction/refractive quality of the scales - ie there is no colour there. A bit like bird feathers, so colour enhancers wont worry them. Interesting stuff - once filleted a large discus (after I die of unknown causes of course) that had been eating tetra bits for 3 years. The meat was pink, not white. Its the same pigment salmon and trout farmers feed aquacultured fish, to make the meat go pink. Most people think that salmon meat is always pink. Its actually white, but people wont buy white salmon!! Anyway, your BD's should be fine. Heres a photo of a BD thats been on tetra bits for 2 years know.

Squid

vince
Thu May 04, 2006, 11:29 PM
oh...waw.....

what a delight....

I really like your fish!!!

Maybe just the light or something.....i got mislead.

I will feed my discus tetra colour. thanks

How big is your tank, by the way?

Ben
Sat May 06, 2006, 01:40 AM
I believe feeding tetra bits does make a small difference to blue diamonds, I have noticed in the past (and performed a little test) that the fine fins take on a darker colour.

It can be noticed just behind the peduncle, where I have circled it.

I have fed naturose to BD’s and this area has taken on a red colour.

Ben

Squid
Sat May 06, 2006, 10:37 AM
I thought that too Ben, but I'm now wondering just how long that Xanthin based colours stay in their systems. I've had some BDs in breeding tanks getting fed my special brew (no colour enhancers at all) and they seem to keep this colour. They've been in breeding set-ups for over a year now. I do know that photos always seem to bring out red colours too. Anyway - now i dont know?!?! I'll have to go down and do a comparison. I wont sleep tonight over this - thanks Ben!

Squid
Sat May 06, 2006, 10:41 AM
Sorry Vince - the holding tanks are 48x18x15 and hold around 200 litres. 30% water change twice a week for these guys, and a simple box filter. Nothing flash. After reading some of these forums, I think I treat my fish like crap! Oh well - keep them in a sewer and when you want to breed, just give them some fresh water! They think they're in heaven then

Squid

vince
Sat May 06, 2006, 11:41 PM
Squid:

You live in Townsvil, right?

The water you get from your tap is very soft and acidic.

You can do it in a simple way. Lucky you!!

vince
Sat May 06, 2006, 11:44 PM
I am trying to change the diet of my discus.

I am trying to get them to feed on breeder's premium.

I find it is very hard. They simply do not even look at it.

I guess this will take a long time..

shayesmommy
Sat May 13, 2006, 05:42 AM
squid?
did you eat it after?
just curious as to why you would do it?
And how come when you catch salmon out of the ocean you cut it open its orangeish pink not white?

Squid
Mon May 15, 2006, 07:11 AM
Shayesmommy - yeah, I had a taste. I have a habit of eating my aquarium fish! Not sick ones though. Discus meat tastes sweet but very fishy. They are considered a delicacy in Brazil, but I'm a bit spoiled over here as we only eat premium reef fish in Nth Australia. Now about Salmon - when you catch them out to sea, they have been feednig on krills and schrimp, and the carotenoids in the feed makes them go pinkish/red in the meat. If you catch one coming up the river in Spring to breed, you'll notice that they are even redder. This is because they've been gorging themselves prior to breeding. A Salmon thats in a aquaculture facility usually only gets fed pellets (cause shrimps a bit expensive!) and without added carotenoides such as astaxanthin etc, the meat over time goes pale. Everybody knows Salmon meat is RED, so initially, no one bought the aquacultured salmon! They added the pigments to the food to give them a Salmon look - so people would buy them. Trout farmers do the same. Some Salmon do have a sort of clear red meat also.

Squid

PS Oscars are good eating as are Jaguar cichlids

mcloughlin2
Mon May 15, 2006, 09:07 AM
Shayesmommy - yeah, I had a taste. I have a habit of eating my aquarium fish! Not sick ones though. Discus meat tastes sweet but very fishy. They are considered a delicacy in Brazil, but I'm a bit spoiled over here as we only eat premium reef fish in Nth Australia. Now about Salmon - when you catch them out to sea, they have been feednig on krills and schrimp, and the carotenoids in the feed makes them go pinkish/red in the meat. If you catch one coming up the river in Spring to breed, you'll notice that they are even redder. This is because they've been gorging themselves prior to breeding. A Salmon thats in a aquaculture facility usually only gets fed pellets (cause shrimps a bit expensive!) and without added carotenoides such as astaxanthin etc, the meat over time goes pale. Everybody knows Salmon meat is RED, so initially, no one bought the aquacultured salmon! They added the pigments to the food to give them a Salmon look - so people would buy them. Trout farmers do the same. Some Salmon do have a sort of clear red meat also.

Squid

PS Oscars are good eating as are Jaguar cichlids

Rotflmao!!! :lol:

Your kidding right?

shayesmommy
Mon May 15, 2006, 03:33 PM
lol. i had to read it a couple times then ask if u ate cause i wouldnt there would be another reason to cook it.
and i see what u mean about salmon my dad told me that to its from eating them. i was just thinking ocean fish. sorry for the confusion. We usually get our salmon straight from the ocean.