PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a water drum today!!

vince
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 05:01 AM
Hey, guys :

I finally got a water drum(150 L) today. I guess it may not be a food grade.

There is a number 2 in the triangle.

I am wondering if it is going to do any harm to the fish.

How do you guys clean the drum before using for fish.

Well, i gave it a wash by tap water and left in the sun for couple hours. It seems pretty clean and does not have any smell. Is this enough?

Do i have to leave it with full of water for couple of days before start using it?

Please give some advise.

many thanx

vince

DR.V
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 05:28 AM
Give a wash with warm water perhaps ?

I would do the same, leave them under the sun for a couple of days. Just to be safe.

HTH

vince
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 05:34 AM
Hey, Dr. V:

I would like to leave it in the sun for couple of days.

As the sun in Queensland is quite strong. I already found the shape of the water drum is changing a little. Not much... though.

I may fill it up with water tonight. and make some water changes next week. see how it goes..

Maybe i am too conservative?

vince

DR.V
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 05:37 AM
Fill up the drum and take the lids off

Leave them under the sun for about a week ??? You're not in a rush right ? Hehe

Good luck

vince
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 05:47 AM
I may have to do that...

You know once you got something new. You sort of want to try it straight away...haha...

Well..to be safe... i will try not to rush.

thanks for the help!

vince

k9outfit
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 10:05 PM
Have any fish you don't really care for? Some sacrificial fish that beat the daylights out of their tankmates or something :evil: ? I'd try a few water changes on them 1st, then take it from there.

Bad Inferno
Sun Apr 30, 2006, 12:25 PM
I run a small air powered $5.00 corner filter in my drum with carbon, airates and may strip out some nasties in the water.

rob

Merrilyn
Mon May 01, 2006, 05:19 AM
Vince, fill the drum with water, add two cups of plain chlorine bleach (the cheap no name stuff from the supermarket) and allow it to stand for 24 hours.

Then empty, and rinse well. Allow to sit in sun to dry, and until all smell of chlorine has vanished. Then fill and add double the normal amount of anti chlorine liquid and your drum is ready to use.

vince
Tue May 02, 2006, 11:41 PM
Thanks merrilyn :

actually, i do not find any chlorine smell at all...

But just to be safe, i will follow the preocedure you have provided.

cheers

vince

vince
Tue May 02, 2006, 11:43 PM
mate:

forgot to ask what is "anti chlorine liquid "

You mean dechlorine? like SeaChem Prime?

many thanx

Merrilyn
Wed May 03, 2006, 04:27 AM
That's the stuff Vince. The chlorine you buy in the bottle, is just the same stuff that they put in our water to kill bugs, just at a lower concentration.

vince
Wed May 03, 2006, 11:59 PM
Thanx Merrilyn:

Now i got it.

The Chlorine bleach is used to clinically clean the drum.

Then the double dosage of dechlorine is used for geting rid of any residues left on the drum.

am i right?

I am just wondering. The drum i got is not really a food grade. What if the plastic itself contains chlorine? Or just doesn't matter?

vince