PDA

View Full Version : Jager heaters

jho51e
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 04:13 AM
Hi all!

I have a 300w Jager heater and it sayd that it is fully submersible... can someone please confirm whether this means that part of the cable can also be placed under water?

DR.V
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 04:25 AM
Im pretty sure it can. I mean even a cheaper brand have this feature ^^

HTH

jho51e
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 04:28 AM
oh good.. just wanted to check coz the enclosed paperwork just said fully submersible and that the cable cannot be replaced...

thanks DrV!

DR.V
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 04:31 AM
Oh yeah, I dont think you can replace the cable because it has the waterproof seal around it.

Why would you replace the cable anyway ?

Jager is a good brand. Im sure you wont have any problem with it ^^

jho51e
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 04:35 AM
by the way, i was just thinking of the way i have the 2 placed on my tank...

both are currently vertical stuck to the back glass and one on each side of the tank..

1. would it be better if i lie them down?
2. if so, should i place it at the top or bottom portion of the tank?
3. also have seen some please have it diagonal and placed on the side glass of their tanks...

DR.V
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 04:46 AM
The only thing to consider when placing heater is how high is your tank.

1. If you like to place them vertically, then place it in the middle of the tank ( height wise ) . This will makes cleaning gravel easier since its not too close to the gravel. Also not to close to the surface, so the heat wont got awat easily ( more effective in heating the water )

2. I would suggest to place them horizontally if you got small tank. This is because when you do W/C the heater will still fully submersible. If you place them vertically, when you do W/C, you need to turn the heater off and wait for a while, otherwise the heater would be still too hot, and it could burn the suction cap.
It all depends on your tank height. If it tall enough and when you do W/C, the heater still fully submersible, then its okay to put them vertically.

3. Bascially, people can place their heater anyway they like right ?? diaognal ? upside down ? hehe..
It just look neater if you place them vertically or horizontally IMO.

Hmm did I confuse you ?

HTH

jho51e
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 04:50 AM
no thats good...

i have a 6x2x2 tank and yes i do have to turn it off when doing a wc... it is quite a long heater...

might try horizontal, and place at the bottom...

DR.V
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 04:53 AM
300W jager is about 50cm long if I remember correctly.

Yep, if you place them horizontally, and place at the bottom, then you dont have to turn them off and wait for it to cool down a bit.

Saves time ^^

Good luck.

jho51e
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 04:55 AM
thanks so much for the guidance DrV!

Proteus
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 05:15 AM
No need to assist here, DR.V has things covered.

Personally I find placing a heater at a 45 degree angle gives the best results, but each to there own. In all my sumps my Jagers are horizontal attached to the base and are fully submerged.

Ben
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 01:31 PM
I agree.

i like it horizontal aswell.

:shock: :wink:

jho51e
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 02:37 PM
okies will do horizontal... just need to elevate the powerboard at the back of the tank so the cable (which is only 6ft) reaches... :-)