PDA

View Full Version : How long to leave lighting on?

penstar1000
Thu Apr 27, 2006, 01:11 PM
Howdy all
I was wondering how long everyone leaves their aquarium lights on for? I currently have 1 lighting tube on about a 12 hour timer. The problem is that if I want to see my fishies at night, it doesn't switch on before I go to work in the morning, which means I can't feed them in the morning either. I'm only feeding once a day at the moment, in the evenings, which is obviously not enough, but to feed in the morning I would have to have the light on more than 12 hours. What does everyone else do?
Thanks!
Pen

Merrilyn
Thu Apr 27, 2006, 04:15 PM
I have my lights on about 18 hours. The fish don't seem to mind.

redmelon
Thu Apr 27, 2006, 11:16 PM
I have my lights on 24 hrs, i guess my discuss also doesn't mind. Is there any problem with it Merrilyn, my tank is under medication and it requires the temperature to be atleast below 27 degrees, am using para-cide so i can not bring the temparture up. I turn off my other heater and just leave the lights on 24hrs...

DR.V
Fri Apr 28, 2006, 02:31 AM
I use timer for my lights. Leave them on for about 9 hours a day.

If I leave them on a bit more longer, like 10-12 hours, I will have lots of algae on glass, and I hate cleaning them ^^

HTH

Nathan
Fri Apr 28, 2006, 07:52 AM
i have them on about 9 or 10 hours (cant quite remember) and if there on any longer i get a lot algea on the glass, plants and rocks so yea i hate the look of the algea and cant be bothered cleaning it either.

nathan

Merrilyn
Fri Apr 28, 2006, 11:52 AM
Red melon, what medication are you using. Just check the bottle, cos some of them are affected by light.

As far as leaving the lights on 24/7, I don't think it's much of a problem. I do that for the two weeks that my pairs have eggs or new fry.

Don't think I'd like to do it long term, but doesn't seem to bother them short term.