PDA

View Full Version : Fish green around the gills

k9outfit
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 03:23 AM
First off, let me just say that I love this site! People are great, with lots of helpful advice, sense of humour, without coming across as "knowing it all". Kudos to all!

Now for my problem. One of my Discus is stressed - obviously, since he's turning quite dark, almost black. He's still eating some foods, moderately active though likes to hide behind the sponge filter, his fins aren't clamped, but he's definitely not well. There is 1 other one that does turn dark on occasion, but doesn't stay dark.

We seem to have an infestation of cyclops which I am trying to get rid of by removing them physically. Ph is 7.6 (that's what they were raised in), Temp. is 31, Ammonia, Nitrite=0, nitrate <5; 50 gallon (227 litre), bare bottom, sponge filter & airstone, using peat water, 20% water change every second day. For the last 2 days, I've also added a product called "Immuno-Vital", designed for stress relief and is an immunity enhancer. Had them for ~1.5 months.

Would adding salt to the water be a reasonable approach at this time? How much; 1 TBS/40 liters? Anything else I might try?

TIA - and sorry for the long post...

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 07:42 AM
Don't worry about the long post. You've given me all the information I need, and you can't do that in just a couple of words. :P

Adding salt is about the best 'cure all' you can get for discus. Start with one heap teaspoon on day 1 and then add another heap teaspoon (per 40 litres of tank water) on day 2 and keep it at that level for 2 weeks.

Once the fish start showing signs of improvement slowly decrease the strength of the salt till you get back to pure water again. Just doing your normal water changes, without adding any additional salt to the change water, will gradually dilute the salt.

Only use rock salt, kosher salt or pure cooking salt.

Hope you see some improvement soon.

I wonder if you could borrow a few guppies for a few days. They will make short work of your daphnia problem. :D

k9outfit
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the advice Ladyred! I just hate sitting around watching a sick fish without actively trying to do something!

So, just to confirm; Discus make me nervous... I add 5 tsp. of salt on day 1, then an additional 5 tsp on day 2 - total 10tsp - kept at that level for 2 weeks. When doing a water change and removing 40 litres, add 2 tsp salt with the new water.

Not a guppy in sight; and I don't think my African fry would appreciate the soft water. :)

weird
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 02:19 PM
Discus make me nervous

I still remember the day I first walked into SLS, and Kev told me what fish were virtually indestructable . This was rummynose in that case ... but it can extend to discus.