PDA

View Full Version : clamped fins and sunken tummy

sharn
Tue Apr 25, 2006, 03:04 AM
hello guys, two fridays ago i got three new discus for my planted tank off a reputable breeder. there is two pigeons (8 and 10cm) and one unknown one whos about 12cm. they all ate before i picked them out and they all looked healthy, they were kept in BB tanks.

when i got them home all was well, they went into hiding overnight but have gotten better, my problem is the medium pigeons tummy is sunken in and its not eating. im unsure what it could be so i have isolated it to a 60L BB tank and upped the temp to 31C and added 3tsp of epsom salts incase of a blockage (its 1tsp per 20L right?). this fish started clamping is pectorals about a week ago, normally only for about 5 seconds a time but it is now much much longer also the other two have started clamping :cry: what is this from? and what can i do about it? would salt baths help for the skin problems?

the discus in the BB tank is going to hopefully start eating and im am trying to tempt him with worms. i have seen a few bits of poop in the main tank but obviously im not sure which discus it is from, the pigeon has just moved over the the BB so i can moniter eating etc and possibly medicate if need be.

main tank is set to 29C, ph 7.5, gh and kh 5, 220L with rummynose (12), rams (2), cories (4), bristlenose (2) and apistos (2). i will be getting two more blue diamonds to add the the group asap and possibly one extra if this pigeon looks like it wont make it :( the tank main tank gets 30% water changes with aged water when possible every 2-3 days.

this is pretty upsetting, these fish seemed to be healthy when i got them so it makes me think this is my fault but i couldnt qaurentine them as the tank is occupied by a sick angel and ive just managed to shift fish around to get the 60L spare. no fish had been added to my tank prior to them being added for about a month and a half. is it worth me moving all three discus into the 60L?

thanks heaps guys

sharn
Tue Apr 25, 2006, 09:30 AM
ok, so i decided to put all three into the BB tank as all were clamping and i might as well get them used to the BB before i start with meds which i will no doubt have to do. they seem ok, not hiding like they were in the planted tank but they only have the filter and one decoration to hide behind, probably makes them feel more at home as thats what they were kept in before?

edit- a few people seem to think it is worms but he worms his fish every 4 months (hes turning over stock pretty well though), he said he can get me some liquid prazi but i havent seen any poops to indicate tapeworm, just the sunken tum and clamping?? anyone got any ideas?

sammigold
Tue Apr 25, 2006, 12:42 PM
Clamping fins sign of Gill flukes? Possibly...
Do they spit out their food as that can be a sign too...

Merrilyn
Tue Apr 25, 2006, 02:48 PM
Sharn it might be an idea to try plain cooking salt while the fish are in the bare tank.

Use cooking salt (from the supermarket) or rock salt at the rate of 1 heap teaspoon per 40 litres of water. Next day, add another teaspoon of salt per 40 litres.

Do your normal daily water changes, only adding salt to the new water. Maintain the level of two heap teaspoons of salt per 40 litres for around a week. You should find that the fin clamping will stop, and the fish begin eating properly again.

If not, there may be something else going on, and you'll need to resort to medication, but try the salt treatment first. I've seen it work wonders, especially on fish that have been stressed by a recent move.

I do think all fish carry a lot of bugs that their natural immune system keeps under control. When a fish changes hands, and goes through the trauma of transporting and shipping, it's immune system can be down, and allow some of these bugs to get a foot hold.

Always try the simple remedies first, and only bring in the big guns if absolutely necessary.

Good luck.

sharn
Tue Apr 25, 2006, 11:57 PM
thanks heaps for your replies guys, i have 3tsp of epsom salts in there already so do i need to water change that out before i try normal salts?

just fed them all some chopped up garden worms and im amazed to be honest, theyre right at the front of the tank zooming out for food! in the planted tank theyd just hide and not rush at all, maybe they feel more at home cause thats what theyre used to? either way im happy all 3 ate :D with the sick one downing maybe 2 5mm worms, better than nothing. the other two were the usual piggies like they were in the breeders tanks so im quite happy today.

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 07:30 AM
That's good news Sharn. Yes, do a full water change to get rid of all the epsom salts before you add cooking salt. Sounds like they're just taking a while to settle in, but keep them in the bare tank for about 2 weeks before transferring them back to the planted tank.

Once you are satisfied that they're eating well, and not showing any signs of illness, transfer them back to your planted tank.

sharn
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 10:27 AM
will do, ill slowly get rid of that epsom salt over about a week or so as they dont seem to be clamping anymore, if they start again ill do some and add it asap :)

ive decided to keep them in the BB for a while now, it must have been pretty stressful to move, let alone go into a furnished tank with fish theyve never seen before, and they seem more outgoing in there