PDA

View Full Version : How to remove snails from freshwater tank safely?Any Help?

discus123
Tue Apr 25, 2006, 12:00 AM
Dear all,
My six foot tank with discus,cardinal tetras and Bristle nose fishes having lot of snails multiplying everyday.Could anyone of you suggest a quick and safe way of getting rid of these small snails (nearly fifty of them all over the tank ).I initially tried removing them one by one manually which is taking a lot of time and then the next day I see more of them reproduced in the tank again !??##$$*&@@## ???

Thanks.

Ben
Tue Apr 25, 2006, 12:36 AM
They are little buggers those little snails!

Some of the Botia species will actually eat them.
But they should not be fed too well with fish foods as they will favour the fish foods over the snails.

Give a couple of the pakastani loaches a try or maybe this could work.

http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1323

I hope this helps

Ben

G-1000
Tue Apr 25, 2006, 12:44 AM
Get clown loaches and those snails will be history !

Worked for me

G

FishLover
Tue Apr 25, 2006, 02:23 PM
I have a zebra loach and the snails are gone.

Cliffeh
Tue Apr 25, 2006, 05:11 PM
I found a small snail clinging to the side of the glass in my main tank that has 6 clowns in it... I think either

a) he is either the luckiest snail alive
b) the clowns are snobs now and will only eat beefheart
c) the snail does a bristlenose impression good enough to fool the clowns!

Liverpool_pete
Tue Apr 25, 2006, 08:50 PM
I would still go the clown loach. They seem to work great and look great in the tank as well.

wickedglass
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 12:17 AM
the problem with clown loaches is that they have defensive switchblades under their eyes, that they can flip them out and cause damage if they're a little stressed or feel threatened. This could be detrimental for your discus if they get scraped. Pakistani loaches are a less dangerous alternative I think, as they don't have spikes

discus123
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 09:17 PM
Dear Ben,G-1000,fishLover,cliffech,Liverpool_pete,wickedglass ,

Appreciate your helpful tips/advice ! Thanks a lot !

Cheers.

nicholas76
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 10:23 PM
Discus 123,

never had an issue with products like this

This product killed them all within the first hour. Just do a water change after that , evaluate for a week and then treat again.

link attached

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4103&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=snails&&start=20

cheers