PDA

View Full Version : bristlenose in backdrop Need help!!!

sammigold
Mon Apr 24, 2006, 02:32 AM
Hi, we are about to undertake an enormous exercise to rescue our silly b/n ...
In doing this we will have to take out all our substrate and noodles, filter wool, bio sponge etc..... We will be doing this hopefully within the next 2 hours... (once baby is napping!)

Anyway my question is..... if we take everything out and put it in buckets of tank water and we replace our old dirty filter wool with new wool and rinse our bio sponges in tank water will we creat a "cycle" by having the new filter wool or will the bacteria we have created in last 10months stay stable as long as we do this within the hour....Should we take this opportunity to rinse everything as I think it needs a clean!!

It would be wonderful if I could talk to someone asap.... thanks...

kevkoi
Mon Apr 24, 2006, 03:50 AM
Once u do this, I suggest you back off feeding for the next 3 days and feed lightly for the next week or so. Also u would be adviced to test your amonia and nitrites more regularly after this just to make sure u don't get a major spike.

Good luck

sammigold
Mon Apr 24, 2006, 03:52 AM
Thanks for that KevKoi.... I had a feeling we might be encouraging a mini cycle.... so will take your advice - about to go and do the deed Now!!.....

sammigold
Mon Apr 24, 2006, 05:44 AM
Deed done!!! B/N back in tank.... and found a great use for those medium size little black plant holders.... we cut them to fit over out pipes that feed into the back drop so that the water still gets through unhampered but B/n will never make the trip back through as he wont fit through the holes.... (does that make sense?) :) Will post pics later....

Now just to keep an eye on things over the next few days.....finger crossed we havent caused too much havoc... :lol: