PDA

View Full Version : How to ship fish interstate?

vince
Sun Apr 23, 2006, 12:41 AM
Hey, guys:

i am just wondering. How do people normally do the interstate fish shipping?

Do you do the shipping in the post office?

Many thx'

vince

Seaview
Sun Apr 23, 2006, 01:01 AM
hey vince,

the general way is to do airport to airport shipping, it is the fastest way. meaning lease stress on the fish. the fish are oxygen packed in plastic bags just like from a lfs and then packed into foam eskys for better insulation from the outside heat and cold. from there most of the time the customer will pick up or it can be delievered to your door through courier.

vince
Sun Apr 23, 2006, 01:12 AM
Thanks, mate for the information.

Should i take my fish to the airport?

mcloughlin2
Sun Apr 23, 2006, 01:22 AM
Vince, the general practice is for the fish to be double bagged, with a sheet of newspaper between the two bags...

That will then be placed into a foam esky as seaview said.... :P

Depending on where they are being shipped sometimes a heat pack is also needed...

The bags should be filled with pure oxygen and the fish should not be fed for a few days prior to bagging as this will help prevent ammonia in the water.. (eg: If the fish is fed the day its bagged it will then need to excrete its waste which in a bag could cause the ammonia to sky rocket and kill the fish...)

Thanks, mate for the information.

Should i take my fish to the airport?

Yes you should take the fish to the airport and make sure they get on the plane... :wink:

Someone correct me please if i have left anything out... :D

HTH.

vince
Sun Apr 23, 2006, 01:54 AM
Wow...all the profissional advise.

Thanks floks.

Is it expensive to do the interstate shipping?

How much does it normally cost for 3 or 4 fish?

vince

mcloughlin2
Sun Apr 23, 2006, 02:21 AM
Im not 100% sure but i think to have them shipped from Brisbane to Sydney its about $50-$70 depending on many boxes are used and how much water is in the bags...

Best bet is to wait for Kev or someone else from SLS to reply as they would be able to give a more accurate price....

:D

Seaview
Sun Apr 23, 2006, 03:52 AM
Not sure if the rate is standard through out australia for us over here you looking at about $50 - $80 basic charge and then $5 - $10 per kg. but you can just ring A.A.E (australian air express) and they can give you a price over the phone. :D

goldenpigeon
Sun Apr 23, 2006, 04:14 AM
ok mate being as i live fairly close to you our prices should be fairly the same.

the standard fee is $40 per box. then you have to pay about $6 per kilo.

double bag your fish with newspaper in between (try to get as much in as possible and close the bags up). go to your LFS and get the bags filled with oxygen before you pack them in the box. you should sdend them in a foam box which can be gotten from your LFS. depending on your relationship with them you should either pick it up for free or only pay a few $$$. i know the LFS buy them for $12 thoagh so dont get sucked in ;)

after you have oxygen in the bags pack the fish into the foam box and fill any gaps with scrunched up newspaper so the bags dont roll around. when you have packed the fish close the lid but DONT TAPE IT SHUT! the guys at the airport will want to inspect inside the box and they will seal it for you when you get there.

the best way to send fish is through Australian Air Express. their number is 121312 i think lol. give them a call and say you are sending fish and you want to put them on a flight from Brisbane to whereever. MAKE SURE YOU TELL THEM YOU ARE SENDING LIVE FISH! or they might not give you the best flight for the fish.

thats it really. if you have anymore questions let us know ;)

cheers
David

vince
Sun Apr 23, 2006, 04:45 AM
thanks my dear friends

David, your detailed explenation is really useful for me

Cheers

vince

goldenpigeon
Sun Apr 23, 2006, 04:50 AM
not a problem mate! very happy to help!

Ben
Sun Apr 23, 2006, 05:26 AM
Great information everyone!

I also like to add 1 drop of Prime to each bag this will neutralize any ammonia.

If fish die in transit it is usually because of ammonia poisoning and not the lack of oxygen.

Always starve your fish for 48 hours before sending interstate.

Ben

marg
Sun Apr 23, 2006, 05:45 AM
Ben,

I can vouch for G.P.'s abilities - I recently received some Fish from him and they arrived in tip top condition - he did an excellent job - I had never purchased Fish that way and G.P. had never shipped Fish before but he did an excellent job!!.

When the Fish arrived I floated them in the usual way then slid them into the tank - they immedietly started looking for Food!!

I must add that they are the calmest FIsh I have ever purchased. As soon as you come into the room they are straight at the front of the tank beggging for food and when I siphon and do a water change they are really lazy as they move out of my way - flick their tails as if to say "Oh shove off - where's the next feed coming from?' - no darting around or anything - so he's definately doing something right - i only hope that i can mimic him - I'm certainly trying!!.

Regards,

Marg.