PDA

View Full Version : New to Discus - planning to set up a tank

apalsson
Thu Apr 20, 2006, 01:19 AM
All,

I am planning to set up a tank for Discus, - my first Discus tank. I already have a planted tank where I mainly keep rainbow fish so I have a good grasp of basics of aquaria, including cycling, water care etc etc.

I'm planning the new tank to be a mid sized display tank that will be planted, but have maybe 5 or 6 Discuses. I am particularly keen on getting a corner tank and have been looking at one that is 36" x 36" and 24" deep. I already have a CO2 system from another tank, including the pH controller and probe. The tank is meant to have some nice driftwood and mainly sword plants and other Amazon type plants.

What would be the main considerations for this setup in terms of filtration, heating, maintenance, tankmates, etc etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I'd like to plan this one well.

Thanks in advance

Ari

apalsson
Thu Apr 20, 2006, 07:07 PM
Anyone care to comment?

G-1000
Thu Apr 20, 2006, 11:04 PM
Ari,

Personally - I am not sure what you are asking about ?

Which tank are you referring to ?

G

apalsson
Thu Apr 20, 2006, 11:36 PM
G-1000,

I was hoping for some ideas or tips re my planned Discus tank (36" x 36" x 24" corner tank). I have not kept Discuses before and am unsure if I need to make special arrangements

Ari

G-1000
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 05:29 AM
Ok well for discus in a planted tank - it can work well.

You need plants that thrive between 28-32 degrees, which can also tolerate acidic water.

Ummm, probably a good idea to have driftwood in there with discus - releases tannins into the water (thus, makes the water little darker).

You will need to keep the tank fairly clean - so make sure it is easy to do w/c on the tank.

You will need to have a seperate quarantine tank - you may need to use medications which kill your plants, or you may need to use salt treatments - again will kill the plants.

Aside from that - you should be fine.

You may find that your discus hide in a planted tank - this is normal.

Any further questions - just post in reply on this thread mate.

G

apalsson
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 07:50 AM
Hello G,

Thanks for the help.
Do I take it right then that a planted Discus tank is not that different to any other planted tank except softer water, a bit warmer and bigger requirements for water quality?
Plus obviously plants suited for these conditions.

I have read a lot here about oxygen level requirements in Discus tanks.

Assuming I want to use my CO2 system on the tank, am I correct in assuming that as long as I maintain adequate surface agitation, CO2 injection will be fine? (just lower saturation)

Regards

Ari

G-1000
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 09:42 AM
Well a discus tank has less oxygen circulating in the water (due to the higher temps). Thus a lot of people use airstones in their tanks and that includes myself.

With co2 - it would be good to partially buffer the ph in the acidic range, but you need to be careful with planted tanks with co2.

When the lights are on - the plants are undergoing photosynthesis and thus releasing pure o2 into the tank water. However, when the lights go out, there is no o2 being released by the plants so the o2 in the water will quickly run out - robbing discus of air. This is counteracted by the airstones - but airstones and co2 injection can get very tricky.

G

Merrilyn
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 10:25 AM
Lots of posts on here about setting up a new tank. Try this one .............

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6743

And a search will reveal a lot more.

Discus are not as difficult as you might think. If you're already familiar with aquarium keeping, you're more than half way there. They just need a lot more water changes than most fish :P

Bill T.
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 11:07 AM
Things I have learned (usually the hard way):
*always buy the best quality stock you can afford.
*dont use remedies like melafix.
*even with healthy looking new fish, it's worth treating for flukes, worms and parasites.
*I never buy live food anymore as I think it may introduce pathogens.
*if you haven't already got one, I suggest getting a U.V. steriliser.
*Geosolution works well.

Welcome to the league of discus lovers. They are amazing fish to watch!

apalsson
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 06:27 PM
Thanks to all of you for the advice.

I guess in summary, the main difference from my planted tank will be:

Softer / warmer water
More water changes (partly offset by the water quality the plants cause)
UV Steriliser (already have one on the planted tank)
Soft water plants (Echinodorus, Anubias, Crypts, etc)
CO2 during the lighting period, airstone at night

Since the tank is around 65 Gal, stock could be:
4 - 5 Discus
Cardinal Tetras
Harlequin Raspboras
2 - 3 Otos
2 - 3 small Clown Loaches

Am I on the right track here?

Regards

Ari

Merrilyn
Sat Apr 22, 2006, 01:10 PM
Absolutely Ari. You're definately on the right track.

Only problem I see is that your loaches will eventually be too big to live with your discus (but not for a couple of years), otherwise, I like your choice of tankmates.

Inspiringfish
Mon May 01, 2006, 12:23 AM
I've got rummie nose in all 4 tanks. I love them. They're pretty fun fish. Schooling, surfing currents,, etc..

Cliffeh
Tue May 02, 2006, 07:03 AM
I like Rummy noses as well, with the exception of the two that I couldn't catch when I was converting one of my tanks to bare bottom this weekend! ;)