PDA

View Full Version : using peat for lowering pH; now what?

k9outfit
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 03:07 AM
I'm using peat to lower the pH in our tap water (pH is 7.8, gH & kH are also high). In the second barrel, the pH has gone down to 6.4 in approx. 36 hours!!!! GH & KH are also low (think kH may have been 0?, and gH 3-5 from what I can tell; hard to distinguish the colour shift). Anyway, the questions are: will the pH continue dropping as long as the peat's in the water, or will it stabilize at 6.4? Should I remove the peat and only return it when adding fresh tap water? Also, is the gH & kH too low for comfort? Should I add something to buffer it? What would be the safest/most recomended, most controlable?

Interestingly, I have another barrel set up the exact same way, though using a different brand of peat. Had that one set up for over 2 weeks, and after 2 weeks, the pH still hasn't budged! It's still sitting at 7.8, whereas the pH in the new set-up dropped like a rock!

DR.V
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 09:57 AM
Will the pH continue dropping as long as the peat's in the water, or will it stabilize at 6.4? --> It will stabilize at one point. It wont keep dropping.

Should I remove the peat and only return it when adding fresh tap water? --> When I used peat, I keep them in the filter at all time. Only replace them after 1-2 months.

Also, is the gH & kH too low for comfort? --> Low kH is good for discus, especially for breeding.

Should I add something to buffer it? What would be the safest/most recomended, most controlable? --> What buffer? I think peat would be enough. You can also add some driftwood.

HTH

k9outfit
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 02:12 PM
I thought that with a very low GH & KH, pH crashes were a serious concern? Or would the peat in itself have something which would stabilize the water so pH crashes aren't imminent?

sammigold
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 02:28 PM
You can buffer your kh by putting a handfull of shellgrit in your tank or tying some in a stocking and hanging somewhere within tank... put in as much as will raise KH to about 3 (usually a nice big handful for a girl a normal one for a guy. Thats what I did in my 4ft tank)... this should help to stop a PH crash... HTH

FishLover
Thu Apr 20, 2006, 03:27 PM
I dont' think you will see a PH crash using peat unless you are using a lot in the filters.

Don't add buffer to it. You will be fine. Just monitor the PH level for few times a day till you get the feel of it.