PDA

View Full Version : high volume air pump

kswong34
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 07:53 AM
Hi,

Have anyone use one of this before?? the Ht-500

http://www.sunsun-china.com/english/product.aspx?text=ht-500

They are gold in colour for Australia model.

are they any good in term od noise and reliability.

Thanks in advance.

:wink:

Proteus
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 08:30 AM
If being used in a fish room etc, no problem.

In a house maybe not as they arent exactly the quietest of pumps.

At the end of the day when it comes to high capacity pumps, you get what you pay for.

also, being a vibration pump, it doesnt describe what system it uses.

Hi-Blow example-

Compact and Powerful
Hi-Blow Air Pumps incorporate Elecro-magnets, which act upon permanent magnets, providing perfectly-balanced vibration and allowing a compact but powerful device.

Reliable
The only moving parts consist of an actuating rod supported by special synthetic rubber diaphragms which vibrate laterally, permitting long-term continuous operation.

Ultra Quiet Operation
All internal moving parts are rubber-spaced to eliminate vibration, and a sturdy, thick-walled metal casing ensures silent operation.

HTH

kswong34
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 08:33 AM
If being used in a fish room etc, no problem.

In a house maybe not as they arent exactly the quietest of pumps.

At the end of the day when it comes to high capacity pumps, you get what you pay for.

also, being a vibration pump, more chance of something going wrong

Thanks for reply.

Do u meant the resun LP series are more quiet compare to this??

Cheers

Proteus
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 09:10 AM
I will be honest and say I have not found any of the cheaper Chinese made products that quiet.

Once again, if in a fish room, no problem, but in a house, it would drive me batty.

On the other hand, you have to factor in cost verses noise. The quiet pumps arent cheap sadly.

kswong34
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 09:14 AM
How about reliability??

Does all chinese brand unreliable??

Cheers :wink:

Ben
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 09:38 AM
How about reliability??

Does all chinese brand unreliable??

Cheers

I would say that the Japanese brand is reliable!

I have a Medo Air blower and they are fantastic!
(same air blower Roy Khoo uses)

I would spend the extra $$$ and buy a good brand such as HiBlow.

I have had and used the chinese brand magnetic pumps and they are very noisy!

Ben

Proteus
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 09:46 AM
Not all Chinese products are unreliable, some are very good.

I am only commenting on what I have used and the model you asked about

kswong34
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 03:49 AM
Hi,

Attached is a picture of the pump.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b369/CoryFan/AHT500.jpg

I had been told that this pump is quiet but unrealiable. Have u used one of this before?

It will be sitting in the garage, so abit of noise if fine but just worry about the reliability.

btw, how much is a hi blow cost??

Thanks in advance

stonedavid
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 05:29 AM
Hi i am currently using 2 chinese magnetic pumps, very reliable and very quiet. If they do get a little noisy it is only from the diaphragms wearing thin, i just replace them ( once in 15 months) with a thicker teflon diaphragm i make up. The smaller 30w pump is currently running 18 tanks and possibly more if i wish. Next time i am in the shed will get the brand for you, not the gold model. I probably wouldnt put into a household environment due to the heat exchange on the outside casing, hence the teflon i use instead of normal rubber. Hope this helps.

kswong34
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 05:33 AM
Hi i am currently using 2 chinese magnetic pumps, very reliable and very quiet. If they do get a little noisy it is only from the diaphragms wearing thin, i just replace them ( once in 15 months) with a thicker teflon diaphragm i make up. The smaller 30w pump is currently running 18 tanks and possibly more if i wish. Next time i am in the shed will get the brand for you, not the gold model. I probably wouldnt put into a household environment due to the heat exchange on the outside casing, hence the teflon i use instead of normal rubber. Hope this helps.

Hi, what is a teflon rubber?? where can I get that and how much will it cost??

Looking forward for the brand name :wink:

Thanks

stonedavid
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 05:44 AM
Teflon can be bought at any kitchen supply shop, mostly industrial places, not the little home kitchen shop. It is a sheet of rubber looking material but it is coated with an outer layer of teflon, long lasting, normal rubber wears out to quickly so a friend put me on to the teflon sheets. All you do is cut a new diaphragm out using the old one as a template. A sheet wil last ages, and cant remember the exact cost. Just had a look at brand and they are Resun, i buy this brand as i have found them to be long lasting and if something ever does go wrong i can normally fix myself.
Rgds
Pete

kswong34
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 05:50 AM
Teflon can be bought at any kitchen supply shop, mostly industrial places, not the little home kitchen shop. It is a sheet of rubber looking material but it is coated with an outer layer of teflon, long lasting, normal rubber wears out to quickly so a friend put me on to the teflon sheets. All you do is cut a new diaphragm out using the old one as a template. A sheet wil last ages, and cant remember the exact cost. Just had a look at brand and they are Resun, i buy this brand as i have found them to be long lasting and if something ever does go wrong i can normally fix myself.
Rgds
Pete

Thanks heaps... :wink:

chrissyoscar
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 09:07 AM
Hi

I use this pump.

Atman Air Pump, HP-4000 x

Atman Aquarium Air Pump HP-4000 High Power 35L/min

It's very very quiet and very affordable.

kswong34
Thu Apr 20, 2006, 04:35 AM
Hi

I use this pump.

Atman Air Pump, HP-4000 x

Atman Aquarium Air Pump HP-4000 High Power 35L/min

It's very very quiet and very affordable.

Hi,

How many tanks and filters/air stones do you run out of this pump.

chrissyoscar
Thu Apr 20, 2006, 05:32 PM
I run 2 tanks and a water drum I also have one outlet which i've attached 1m of air hose and have it just hanging as the pump is to powerful. It has 8 outlets and could run 5-6 tanks easy. There is a larger model available

Atman Air Pump, HP-8000 x

Atman Aquarium Air Pump HP-8000 High Power 70L/min

Proteus
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 12:05 AM
Just an FYI, Atman is Aqua One

(also, the same pumps are a lot cheaper with one of our sponsors (http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1677) )

chrissyoscar
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 02:32 AM
Thanks Proteus.

I wasn't aware of that, it gets confusing when the same pump is sold under different names.. Definetely a nice pump and a bargain at under $50 for the 4000 model.

Proteus
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 02:56 AM
previously all the Aqua One range was only labeled as Atman, however all it is is a different label and packaging, they are still the same product.

If you buy a new CF2400 Aqua One filter, it actually still has Atman printed on the top (mine does anyway). I have also had an Atman 750 canister filter (identical to the CF1200) running for 7 years with out a single issue, so it gets my tick of approval.

Or as Ben would say, 8.2/10

kswong34
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 03:08 AM
So no one actually had be using the one I shown in the picture before??

Will u think it worth a try??

Proteus
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 03:11 AM
If you want an honest opinion, I would not use sunsun products. I have tried one of there water pumps and a smaller air pump a year or so back, and they both didnt last very long before dying.

Others may have better reports on this product, however I would buy something else. One other factor, the service and warranty back up on both sunsun and resun is not exactly that good. I wont say any more on that due to obvious reasons (litigation)

kswong34
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 03:15 AM
Hi,

Any idea what is the wattage for both the 4000 & 8000 air pump u shown in the sponsor link??

cheers :wink:

Proteus
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 03:20 AM
The HP4000 is 20w

The HP8000 is 48w

kswong34
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 03:26 AM
:D Thanks!!

What will be the best one to choose if I am using for 3 4ft and 3 2ft?? Will sponge filter only adequote for the filtration??

Oh, those tanks will be just housing livebearers and other small cichlid. Might add 2 more tanks for discus later or sooner.

Thanks in advance. :wink:

kswong34
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 03:35 AM
the 4ft will be 4x15x15 and the 2ft will be 2x13x15"

Cheers :wink: