PDA

View Full Version : Dried Bloodworms carry disease????

sammigold
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 01:32 AM
Can Dried Bloodworms carry diseases or parasites or would it be like feeding flakes?

I read that bloodworms can cause intestinal blockage would that also apply to dried bloodworms??

thanks in advance

Merrilyn
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 04:05 PM
As part of a balanced diet it will be fine. From what I have been told, the drying process removes all pathogens and bacteria from the worms, effectively making it a very safe food.

sammigold
Sat Apr 22, 2006, 12:26 AM
Thanks merrilyn... just another choice of yummy dinners for my fishies....

dntx5b9
Tue May 02, 2006, 08:24 PM
So frozen bloodworms are not safe? I just bought a fronze bloodworms and brineshrimp. Should I not feed my discus?

Cliffeh
Tue May 02, 2006, 08:35 PM
I think they are only totally safe if they are gamma erradiated. I don't think freezing alone is enough. Saying that I often feed Ruto which is non erradiated (to my knowledge)... hopefully Ladyred or someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Merrilyn
Wed May 03, 2006, 06:36 AM
So frozen bloodworms are not safe?

No, that's not what I said.

The question was asked about freeze dried bloodworms.

I believe the safest frozen foods to use are the gamma irradiated brands. However I still believe they are a safe, high protein food for fish. I use frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp and frozen mysis shrimp. Fish would no be getting sterile food in the wild either. If their immune system is strong, from good fishkeeping practices, then their natural immune system will be able to deal with any small amount of bacteria that may be present.

The one thing to watch with frozen food, is that it hasn't been thawed and refrozen before you get it. Look for signs of liquid in the bottom of the packet. If you see it, buy something else.

rytis
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 04:35 AM
Can Dried Bloodworms carry diseases or parasites or would it be like feeding flakes?

I read that bloodworms can cause intestinal blockage would that also apply to dried bloodworms??

thanks in advance
i dont know what it is, but i definetely noticed a PATTERN: EVERY TIME I FEED DISCUS DRIED BLOODWORMS, THEY LOOK SLUGGISH for the next day or so....

so i am suspecting dried blood worms.... but im still feeding them it... :?

samir
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 06:48 AM
dried and frozen bloodworms seem fine though the jury's still out that one. if you can find any JBL freeze dried Tubifex try them they are 62% protein and make fish grow fast.

rytis
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 10:06 AM
i have tubifex cubes as well, theyre are way too small for adult discus - too much mess.. waiting to have babies to feed them to...