PDA

View Full Version : Fin Rot, time to call in the big guns

FishLover
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 10:48 PM
I tried to get rid of the fin rot with Melafix/Primfix combo and it did not really work. I also tried to add salt and it did not work. I wonder if it is time to call in the big guns.

Will Fish Zole do the job? It is said to be used for control of common bacterial infections in fish. I have a whole bottle and ready to use them. I thought I would ask around before dropping them in the tank. The list ing for Fish Zole is metronidazole

I have 11 3" discus in there, 3 corys, 4 ottos and one zebra loach.

tank size 125 g
temp 88F
PH 7.02
Ammo 0
lightly planted
Feed 2 - 3 times a day, FBW, FBS, flakes
Once a week 40% W/C

G-1000
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 04:55 AM
I was under the impression that fin rot is caused by a fungal parasite - which would mean that metronidazole would not be effective.

I would have thought that methylene blue bath for 20 mins would be most effective?

Just hold on until the mods read your msg

G

Andrew Soh
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 05:36 AM
Maybe try a 24 hour PP treatment @ 0,2gm per 100litre of water at pH 7 and below. After that, siphon out all the water and add long bath of salt and acriflavine for a week.

Just a suggestion :wink:
Andrew :angel

sammigold
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 10:56 AM
What is PP?

Thanks...

Andrew Soh
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 11:14 AM
Potassium Permanganate :wink:

sammigold
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 11:57 AM
Thank you Andrew....

sammi seen racing off to medical dictionarys to brush up on scientific knowledge....

scratches head... oops scratched head so much exposed brain...

even inside her head is blonde!!! (Rolling on floor laughing at my own terrible jokes)

At the risk of sounding totally stoopid.... is there a "laymans" term for Pottassium Permanganate...?

Andrew Soh
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 12:03 PM
Yes,

Po tas sium Per man ga nate :wink:

sammigold
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 12:05 PM
HA HA HA HA HA HA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

you are truly evil... :P :P :P :P :P

thanks

FishLover
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 01:19 PM
Thanks guys/gals for the help. I will get the pp from my LFS. I hope they carry it.

marg
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 03:26 PM
Sammi :

Are you Blonde like me?

Can this site stand two females who both have "Blonde Moments"?

Regards,

Marg.

G-1000
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 12:08 AM
Fishlover,

PP is usually only available from chemists in Australia, so you might need to go to a "drug store" as opposed to a LFS.

Be very careful when using PP - even the slightest overdose can easily be lethal in seconds.

G

Andrew Soh
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 12:36 AM
Sammi,

You are welcome :wink:

Take care,

sammigold
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 12:56 AM
Marg, I am totally and hopelessly blonde..(natural so I have no choice!)

and there are definitely plenty of those "blonde" moments when you are around me... :lol: oops....uugghhhh.....gag!!........(sammi takes of head phones) .....oooh... I .... cant.....uh.... breathe.....(puts back on headphones) oh thats better..... breathe in.... breathe out.... breathe in... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

FishLover
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 03:32 AM
Hmmm,
What about malachite green. Would that do the job treating fin rot?

That's what I could get form LFS this afternoon. I will give it a try

Andrew Soh
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 08:24 AM
Malachite Green is a dye and act directly on certain parasites but not very active against bacteria.

PP on the other hand is an oxidising agent so as long as it is active, it will oxidise micro-orgasms and biowaste and debris.

Andrew

FishLover
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 03:06 PM
Thanks Andrew.

BTW, how can I get your book in USA? Any dealer? I saw them on e-bay and not sure if the seller is OK.

Thanks for the help.

Andrew Soh
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 11:47 PM
Hi,

Buying from Ebay is cheaper as far as the posted price goes but of course it is without inscription. But whether he is OK...I don't know.

Buying directly from me will cost (present exchange rate) US$91 to US and US$87 to Australia. The different price is due to postage rate...and from Singapore, Australia is closer.

If interested, you can PM me....

Take care,
Andrew