PDA

View Full Version : what now???

discalicious
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 11:15 AM
i have got 8 pairs as i am sure you all are aware.

i have got 3 pairs laying madly that measure about 10/11 cms from head to tail. but never seem to be fertile.

i have 1 pair that are about 12 cm and have been around the pole for around a week but no eggs???

i have a pair of ss that are around 16cms and they dont seem interested but was told they produced one of the award winning fish at a convention.
but still no interest?

i have a pair of White swans about 15cm that produced wrigglers 3 weeks before i got them and they dont seem interested at all?
male chases the other around all the time????

and 2 pairs of mixs that i know were male and female from previous breeds but are really shy but look stunning.
any thoughts????

thanks
Shane & Ashley Baldwin

Ben
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 10:31 PM
i have got 8 pairs as i am sure you all are aware.

i have got 3 pairs laying madly that measure about 10/11 cms from head to tail. but never seem to be fertile.

i have 1 pair that are about 12 cm and have been around the pole for around a week but no eggs???

i have a pair of ss that are around 16cms and they dont seem interested but was told they produced one of the award winning fish at a convention.
but still no interest?

i have a pair of White swans about 15cm that produced wrigglers 3 weeks before i got them and they dont seem interested at all?
male chases the other around all the time????

and 2 pairs of mixs that i know were male and female from previous breeds but are really shy but look stunning.
any thoughts????

thanks
Shane & Ashley BaldwinWith what you mention above I strongly believe it’s your water. There is an element that is not quite right.

If you could tell me where you live?

How you water change?

How you treat fresh water?

General water specs like PH GH etc.

I might be able to help and give you some advice.

Cheers
Ben

G-1000
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 11:58 PM
Yep gotta agree - provide Ben with the info he is after and the guru will provide breeding advice !

G

discalicious
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 01:02 PM
hi there. i live in sydney.
the ph is around 6.6
the kh i cannot tell you as i lost the results paper but a local breeder told me it was good. 1 drop blue 2nd drop end of cycle.
no amonia
now i alway get these confused but there is no nitrate/ nitrite
and there is .005 nitrate/nitrite.?????
i am sorry but i cannot remember the order.
i treat the water with a prime conditioner that removes amonia, nitrate and nitrite and softens the water.
i change 200 ltrs out of a 1900 ltr system every 2/3 days.
water that is put in is heated and has a big airstone in it.?
thats about it.
Shane

discalicious
Tue Apr 25, 2006, 05:14 AM
any1 there?????
i have had 3 lots of eggs go off since.
but i have had a batch that hatched 11 babys???
only 11

what is going on???
if any1 is in syd please come over to look at my setup and tell me where i am going wrong.
thanks
shane

G-1000
Tue Apr 25, 2006, 10:32 AM
I would say the poor spawn size is caused by:

1) Poor nutrition

2) Illness or pathogens

3) Being too young

What do you feed them?

How long have you personally had them?

Have you dewormed them recently etc...

G

discalicious
Tue Apr 25, 2006, 01:05 PM
i feed them the same beef heart mix that i make as i was given the recipie by a personal friend that breeds them.

i feed them 3 times a day

illness??? dont think so, i got a piar off that mate which were spawning before i got them and raised qwite a few batchs, but dont want to have anything to do with it now.

young? i brought all breeding piars? i dont get it? i have had them for around 4 months now.

i de worm all the fish for a week every 1 1/2 months.

any help would be nice, thanks for the commments
Shane