PDA

View Full Version : How to position filter intake and outake in tank

MacGyver239
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 09:20 AM
i recently set up my 67 gallon tank. it has to be visible from both sides because it is in the middle of my room so i want to have most of the filtration/heating, air pump equipment on the side closest to the wall. considering this what would be the best way to angle the intake and outtake from my cannister filter? the picture attached is the way it is set up now, i was thinking maybe put the outtake bar against the side near the wall so it flows across the length of the tank.

also, the intake tube is shaped like a candy cane, and the intake cover is attached to that, would it be better to have the intake cover attached to the shorter side of the "candy cane" so it would be in the middle of the tank, or would it be better if i turned it around and had the intake cover on the longer part so it would be nearer to the bottom of the tank?

(the tank is four feet long - not scale to picture)

FishLover
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 03:44 PM
it has to be visible from both sides because it is in the middle of my room

This is not a good set up for Discus. They need to have one side that is block out with paint or paper. That way they are less stressed. Otherwise, you will have your discus stressed all the time and you know what will happen next.

As for the filter intake/outlet, I would extend the outlet to cover the whole length of the tank (buy some spray bar or DIY extension) to avoid dead spots in the tank. Aim the spray bar upward close to the surface of the tank to creat gas exchange. You don't need an airstore if you do that and it is easy for you to monitor the filter flow rate too.

MacGyver239
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 05:00 PM
i am planning on having a heavilly planted tank, strategically planted so that they have comfortable hiding places. im hoping this will help to make them feel comfortable. thanks for the extended spraybar suggestion ill try to get one this week. i already have an air pump so i might as well add an airstone anyway, to improve gas exchange and whatnot

Ben
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 11:19 PM
If possible, unless a huge tank, place the inlet and outlet at the further most place from one another.

Also depending on how many "litres per hour" filter you will be using but discus don’t like much currents, so pointing the spray bar down and back will be better. You might be also adding C02 so you don’t want a lot of surface water movement.

HTH

Ben