PDA

View Full Version : Patient pair?

petros
Sat Apr 15, 2006, 08:59 PM
For two months now, Im curing at a quarantine tank, a red turquiose discus from HITH, and now finally is at the recovery stage. Very recently I bought a blue turquiose, male, who came out with the same prob (HITH), so I also put him at the quarantine tank. By the time I put him in the tank the first discus became more energetic and less shy. He/she (I do not know) stopped to hide at the corners and he/she regained his colours after a long time. The newly bought I know that he is male, and as Im told how to recognise the gender, I suppose that the first one might be female, but Im not quite sure. How Im going to recognise if they are a pair or just friends for sure. Does it matter that the male is smaller
? And if they are a pair should I keep them at the quarantine tank, or to put them back at the main tank?

sharn
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 10:24 AM
i would think the old one is just happy to have some company.

from what ive seen two discus will go off by themselves, start head twitching and shimmying at each other then do their things. they will often get nasty to other fish that come near their spot.

if they do happen to be a pair i would put them in the main tank for a bit so they can do their thing and get used to defending them etc, alot of people i know do this to give them some practise and then off to the Q/other tank to let them have a good go without other fish hassling them and trying to eat any babies/eggs

petros
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the advice Sharn! I wish to be a pair! We will see