PDA

View Full Version : That'll teach me

Cliffeh
Sat Apr 15, 2006, 04:23 PM
I decided to pop into a fish shop I hadn't been to for 10 years as I happened to be in the area, my plan was just to pick up a small cube as my son had pinched my qt tank for his community fish... lo and behold the cube ended up being a nice little seabray in a cabinet with associated bits and pieces and I also spotted these two beauties... needless to say it was a much more expensive trip than intended.. worth it tho.

Pic isn't great as they are still settling in and I didn't want to be clicking away trying to get a perfect shot... when they get their colour back they are a really nice irridescent pink with a hint on blue on the fins... apparently they were taken in as red/whites..

After a suitable QT these pair will join the others in my 100g main tank.

Just wanted to share my easter present tale ;)

DR.V
Sat Apr 15, 2006, 04:55 PM
Nice pair. Remember to post another picture when they're starting to colour up again. ^_^

And what are those tiny dots on the glass ?

Cliffeh
Sat Apr 15, 2006, 04:59 PM
The dots on the glass are just air bubbles, did a 75% water change on the qt and had to heat it in the qt before the fish went in.

mcloughlin2
Sat Apr 15, 2006, 11:38 PM
Cliff, just wondering if the tank they are in was cycled?

Air bubbles as such, gennerally in my experiance mean there is still chlorine present, and that the tank is only newly set up. :?

But, it could be just something that occurs in my tanks... :P

DR.V
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 03:01 AM

Air bubbles as such, gennerally in my experiance mean there is still chlorine present, and that the tank is only newly set up. :?

But, it could be just something that occurs in my tanks... :P

Hi, air bubbles also appear in my tank when I do huge water change. Like 80% W/C.

Cliffeh
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 01:46 PM

Air bubbles as such, gennerally in my experiance mean there is still chlorine present, and that the tank is only newly set up. :?P

Probably because the tank was emptied of inhabitants and I drained it right down to 25% then refilled with HMA from a great heigh rather than trickling in as per water changes. I am running a mature eheim 2226 and a sponge filter.... according to the fliter blurb HMA removes chlorine.

nicholas76
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 02:19 PM
look forward too seeing more photos please post up !! :D :D :D

is it just me but are the bubbles in focus and the fish arent?

Cliffeh
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 02:24 PM
Yes Nicholas, not exactly a great piece of photography but I didn' want to take anymore as I didn't want to disturb the fish... will get a proper pic and post up, they'll eventually join this lot...

http://www.thenomad.co.uk/fish/

nicholas76
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 02:28 PM
hehe its ok ! I understand the issue at hand.

congrats on the buy and do look fwd to seeing them over the next few days

cheers

Merrilyn
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 04:52 AM
Lovely (and very familiar) story Cliffe :lol:

They look like 'Blue Ghosts'. It will be interesting to see their colours once they settle in, and they're going to look gorgeous in that tank of yours.

jim from sydney
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 06:22 AM
Nice fish Cliffe.....i tend to go along with LR......re possible chlorine in water....did you use a good conditioner????...if not better add a little now

jim from sydney
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 06:24 AM
Probably because the tank was emptied of inhabitants and I drained it right down to 25% then refilled with HMA from a great heigh rather than trickling in as per water changes. I am running a mature eheim 2226 and a sponge filter.... according to the fliter blurb HMA removes chlorine.[/quote]

better to remove it before adding fresh water

Cliffeh
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 07:26 AM
better to remove it before adding fresh water

Jim the water is produced using an HMA filter, that removes any heavy metal and chlorine before it even gets to my water butt for aging not as part of the tank filtration (I think I explained that badly first go), there is no chlorine in any of my tanks... all of them are either HMA or HMA/RO mix.

Thanks for the compliment Ladyred they are shaping up really nicely. Quarantine will be longer than usual as they didn't come from my usual supplier so I am less confident. I'll leave it for 3 or 4 weeks before I put one of my main tank fish in with them, although if they keep showing as much interest in the filter sponge as they are at the moment I wouldn't be suprised if it goes from a QT to a Breeding tank!

Cheers folks

Cliffe