PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin enriched food

petros
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 07:21 PM
Does anyone enriches the frozen food with vitamins? I started to do that for some HITH affected discus and Im thinking to do it so, also to the community tank. The thing is that the instructions of the liquid vitamins do not say how often to use them. Arbitrary I enrich the food of the sick discus with 2 drops every other day. (the instuction refer to 5-7 drops per 50 lt). I do not know if I use them properly. Any comments?? Thanks!

Ben
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 11:07 PM
Hi Petros,

Is the brand of liquid vitamins Sera?
I have used this product before and it is added directly to the water.

You can "add" extra vitamins and minerals to their food such as a beef heart mix. Common v & m additives are children types which is safe to add to fish food.

If a good balanced diet is feed to your discus I believe it not necessary to adds a vitamin and mineral supplement.

But if you do, 1x children’s v & m tablet crushed to a fine powder and added to 2 kilos of beef heart mix will be fine.

Hope this helps
Ben

petros
Sat Apr 15, 2006, 08:37 AM
You are right that the Sera vitamins can be added directly to the water but I supposed that feeding the fish directly will be more effective. Your advice are helpful, but the thing is that I do not make the food but I buy it from the pet store. However I m thinking of starting to prepare the food myself. Ill eee. Thanks for the advice anyway!

marg
Sat Apr 15, 2006, 09:39 AM
Petros,

There are some great Beef heart recipes on this Forum.

At first I thought what a lot of trouble to go to - thought oh well if I make it and they hate it at least the dog will be well fed - but what a buzz it is when you make some up and see how much your guys and gals love it :) :) !!. Makes you real proud of yourself.

I made up a bulk lot about 3 months ago and bagged it flat in some plastic zip lock bags - mine have it for Brekkie every morning and I have still after 3 months got plenty left. Makes feeding your Fish pretty cheap when you Cost it out, plus you know what they are eating.

Try it - I'm sure both you and your Fish will love it. You don't have to strictly adhere to any one recipe - you can mix them around a bit - and I'm sure you won't be sorry.

Regards,

Marg.

Ben
Sat Apr 15, 2006, 02:14 PM
Petros as Marg mentioned making the food is very easy and can be fun and rewarding! There are many recipes around, its just a case of finding which one works well for you and your discus.
Cheers
Ben

petros
Sat Apr 15, 2006, 08:35 PM
I think guys that in Monday Ill go for shopping:) Thanks for the responce!

BigFoot
Mon Apr 24, 2006, 09:57 AM
I thought the same thing that if I made my own fish food they wont eat it.
Butt I was wrong they eat it to good some times and I have to watch how much and when I feed it. Here is the reciepe if you want to try it. I ran it it through a hand meat grinder three times nothing special I am sure of.

Beef Heart Receipe

1. Beefheart - 1 Heart--------------------------------2 lbs.
2. Frozzen Spinach -----------------------------------1/2 of small frozzen pack
3. Centrum Liquid Vitamins------------------------ 1 Tbsp per Pound of beef
4. Tetra Color Bits ------------------------------------2 tlbs per pound of beef
5. Nutrifin Tropical Fish Flakes ------------------2 cups
6. Fresh Clove Garlic ------------------------------- 1 1/2 bulbs
7. Prawns ( shrimp ) ---------------------------------1/2 lbs.

G-1000
Mon Apr 24, 2006, 10:40 AM
I know this point has been raised partially a number of times - but be careful with a beefheart mix because it is proposed that discus do not have the necessary enzymes to break the proteins down to amino acids and utilise them

G