PDA

View Full Version : KH - GH increase

petros
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 07:00 PM
Hello there! Im using RO water for the water changes so the KH and GH levels are zero. I read that for the proper plants growth and for the discus to be happy the level of water hardness should be between 3 and 10. Is it true that I should increase them? And if so, how to achieve that? The pH level is about 6.6 and teh tank is almost crowdly planted. Any comments ? Thanks! [/img]

Ben
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 11:25 PM
You need to bring both the KH and GH values up as this could cause some problems.

Mixing the RO water with tap water is better or if you are using %100 you will need to add a product such as Kent's RO right.

Ben

petros
Sat Apr 15, 2006, 08:32 AM
Thanks Ben, but the prob with the tap water iin Athens is that it has a pH around 8 or more. So by mixing it with the RO increase my pH levels. Ill give it one more try. Concerning the Kent's RO I m afraid I do not know what this is. Thanks anyway!

Ben
Sat Apr 15, 2006, 02:11 PM
Hi Petros,

here is a link for the product

http://www.kentmarine.com/freshwater/ror.html

As your PH is very high you could lower it a few ways, over peat would work but adding a PH down product such as sodium bisulphate works well with no side affects on the fish.

Hope this helps
Ben

petros
Sat Apr 15, 2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the advice Ben. ot was very helpful. Im afraid that I havent seen this product at which ever pet store Ive been into. Ill look for it. However in the meantime I ll lower the pH of the tap water by Sera "pH minus" nad mix it with the RO water. I think as you also mentioned to do the job right. Thanks for the reponce!

petros
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 05:51 PM
Ben do you know if the KENT R/O Right damages the plants, cause Im thinking to order it!