PDA

View Full Version : Tank Temperature

philwebster
Thu Apr 13, 2006, 08:02 PM
My 400Litre tank is running at 30c which is great for the discus. Is this too high a temperature for an arowana and 2 stingrays, does anyone know?

Merrilyn
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 09:14 AM
Arowana and stingrays are not legal imports into
Australia Phil, so maybe some of our international friends may be able to answer your question.

DR.V
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 09:54 AM
I think it would be best to keep the aro and discus separate, because aro are aggresive fish.

HTH

philwebster
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 10:08 AM
Cheers for those. The Arowana has been in with the discus for 8 months now with no problem and they all get on fine.

DR.V
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 12:59 PM
Phil, did you have the aro since it was small ?

Because once they grow big, they will be more agressive towards other fish. They might fight each other.

30C is okay with aro.

HTH

philwebster
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 07:19 PM
Yeah, got the aro when it still had its orange sack, its grown now to about 8 inches in the 8 months. Currently, my biggest discus, a Blue Turq is the dominant tank member other than the rays, and keeps the aro on its toes. The aro is still spending all its time at the surface, im expecting him to drop halfway at some point, and i have built him a hidey-hole tree house above a behind a piece of cork covered with plants. Ive heard they can get aggresive, im kind of hoping that as theyve all been together since wrigglers, that they can remain content with one another. Its a big enough tank for any of the tank mates to get away from each another if they have to...but i take your point

nicholas76
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 11:36 PM
Ive kepted Arowanas with siamese fighters, tetras, discus,, no issues at all.

again I had mine from baby size.

I found the arowana more interested in surface cruizing and waiting for its meal of grass hoppers/ meal worms than anything else!

can you post a picture, would love to see it.

twobunnyrabbit
Sat Apr 15, 2006, 06:10 AM
Hi Phil,

Is it an Australian native arowana or South American (Silver arowana)? I doubt it'd be an asian one.

Is your a planted tank? Would love to see the pics.

DR.V
Sat Apr 15, 2006, 08:58 AM
Yeah its quite hard to find Asian aro in Aust, even if they're available, they're would be expensive.

Recently I've seen a lot of South American aro.

Australian saratoga is less aggressive tho.

HTH

DR.V
Sat Apr 15, 2006, 09:02 AM
Yeah, got the aro when it still had its orange sack, its grown now to about 8 inches in the 8 months. Currently, my biggest discus, a Blue Turq is the dominant tank member other than the rays, and keeps the aro on its toes. The aro is still spending all its time at the surface, im expecting him to drop halfway at some point, and i have built him a hidey-hole tree house above a behind a piece of cork covered with plants. Ive heard they can get aggresive, im kind of hoping that as theyve all been together since wrigglers, that they can remain content with one another. Its a big enough tank for any of the tank mates to get away from each another if they have to...but i take your point

If you had them since small, i think it would be okay. Because they have grown together in that tank.

Yes, aro always stay near the surface most of the time. My aro only comes down when it get scared or sometimes when Im doing water change.

Try not to feed the aro live food in your case. Feeding live food will make the aro even more aggresive with other tankmates.

HTH