PDA

View Full Version : Breeding

philwebster
Thu Apr 13, 2006, 07:57 PM
I have been keeping Discus for a while now and am starting to think about the challenge of breeding. Has anyone managed to breed Discus (or have Discus bred) in their show tank without going down the usual lines of breeding tanks with no plants etc.
In my show tank i only have 18 fish. 5 Discus (2 males and 3 females i believe). 1 Arowana, 2 Blue Motoro rays, 1 knifefish, 1 pineapple plec, 1 Shovelhead Catfish, 2 Needlefish, 2 kribs and 3 long nosed Bronches to clear up any waste food. It is a 400 Litle corner tank and with all the fish stated only juveniles there is plenty of space. I am running the tank on a 305 Fluval filter at 30c and have river sand as substrate. Is it possible breeding could occur here? Or is this too much to expect........

Also can somebody please tell me the correct names for the discus i have, as i belive my aquarium centre may not have classed them correctly. I believe i have 1 Ghost, 1 Blue Turq, 2 Brilliant and 1 Blue diamond. If somebody could let me know their email address i can forward on some photos (photos too large to use as an attachment), cheers.

G-1000
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 12:08 AM
Hi Phil,

They will breed in that sort of environment if the conditions are right and they are matured etc.

However, you can be almost 100% certain that they will not raise their young in that environment. There are too many predators.

So they will probably lay - but you wont have babies being raised i.e wrigglers will just get eaten.

G

goldenpigeon
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 02:02 AM
Topic Moved to Breeding Basics.

Please try to put threads in the appropriate forum :D

have a nice day :D