PDA

View Full Version : Lights Out ?

DarrenJThomas
Thu Apr 13, 2006, 09:06 AM
My discus have spawned and i have wrigglers.

I normally leage the lights on 24\7 when i know they are going to spawn, so my question is when is a good time to turn the lights off. The lights obviously cause algae and i am not sure if the adult discus get tired. Can they sleep with all that light.

I am just concerned that they might eat the wrigglers if the lights are turned off.

If the wrigglers become free swimming is it best to turn the lights off then to avoid the adults eating the free swimming?

Thanks in advance

Darren

Crocky
Thu Apr 13, 2006, 12:40 PM
I don't bother having a light on till the eggs are 48 hours and then its the room light or a small wattage globe say 5w to 20w.Sounds like your leaving the tank light on your fish want like that< i myself don't turnt he tank light on till the fry are 2 weeks old.

Brad

DR.V
Thu Apr 13, 2006, 01:47 PM
Keep the light on 24/7. This will enable the parents to take care of fry 24/7 giving much faster growth rate.

Also, try to do W/C everyday.

HTH

Crocky
Thu Apr 13, 2006, 02:16 PM
that right 24/7 but not the tank lights.

Brad

Ben
Sat Apr 15, 2006, 12:22 AM
Hi Darren,

How are the discus going?

As Brad and Victor mentioned, leave a small lamp near the tank so there is some light. This will be enough for the parents to see the fry.

Cheers
Ben

DarrenJThomas
Sat Apr 15, 2006, 11:14 PM
The fry have just become free swimming.

The adults are mouthing them into a group.

In regards to the mucus on the adult fish, can you actually see it. Is there an optimum tank condition to ensure that the adults produce it?

Last question, when should i introduce decapulated brine shrim eggs?

marg
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 02:49 AM
Crocky:

If I understand correctly, what you are saying is this -

Once the Fish have spawned, turn the overhead Tank Lights off and leave a small light running 24/7 near the tank until the Eggs hatch, then leave that light near the Tank for a fortnight before turning on overhead Tank Lights.

Am I right?

Regards,

Marg.

Crocky
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 08:31 AM
Marg

I don't use tank light from the time I think they may spawn to they have 2 week old fry.Small light place at tank and turn on the night eggs are to hatch and left on for 2 weeks while the room is dark say 4pm to 7 am but you can go 24/7.

Brad

nicholas76
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 09:04 AM
spot on crocky!

DarrenJThomas
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 09:47 PM
The fry dont seem to be attaching to the adults.

I have a small light on but they seem to just swim around the tank. The adults dont seem to fussed about this. The only thing that concerns me is that they are not eating. I have introduced some baby brine, not sure if they are able to eat it though.

Any thoughts?

nicholas76
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 11:00 PM
There are many possibilities for fry failing to attach.

The most obvious IMO are:

1. Fry are distracted by too much water movement / current.
2. Fry cant see the parents,, Your tank too dark? do you have a black sponges , dark objects.
3. parents are just young and will need to learn to round up.

Others experienced in breeding will confirm or correct me on this, but I have never seen fry eat food straight up once becoming free swimming. Especially if your using frozen brime for food or are trying to hand raise them in a main tank.

Crocky
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 11:04 PM
If they've just become free swimming,they will not eat the bbs which of cause dies and will then turn your water bad.Try this- if your useing a spawning cone or pot, place it at the back of the tank where most of the wriggler's are - or (will gather).Place a strong light (Lamp) at the front of the tank which will make the pair move behind the spawning object the light will form a shadow or dark spot behind your spawniging object . More or less it will make the pair hover over the top of the wrigglers.

DarrenJThomas
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the help

I have purchased a sponge filter and turned off the canister filter. Some of the fry are still swimming around the tank.

I have noticed that the fry swim away from the light and have positioned the light so that they may bunch.

Not getting my hopes up and am treating it as a learning experiance. I too think that the water movement was too fast and the adult fish too inesperianced.

Oh well one step closer than last time.

Will keep you posted