PDA

View Full Version : Sick Discus?????

oOAnUrIsMOo
Thu Apr 13, 2006, 02:51 AM
Hello, two of my Discus seem to have stomachs that keep swelling, they eat very little these days. They are both blue diamonds and came from the same retailer. All the other fish look normal. One of my two filters sprung a leak yesterday and since the swelling seems to have gotten worse, not sure if that is related. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Merrilyn
Thu Apr 13, 2006, 03:30 AM
In the photo, they appear to have spots or little lumps on the side too. Is that the case, or is it just a trick of the camera.

From what I can see in the photo, and from the history of some recent cases, it's either one of two things. Either it's a simple digestive disorder causing a blockage, and you can try to help the fish by adding some epsom salts (from the chemist) into the tank. It's a laxative, and if it's just something simple, then it should help clear it.

Unfortunately the second case scenario is not so easy to cure. It can be caused by a tumour (unusual that both fish should show symptoms at the same time) and sadly there is no known cure for that, or, it can be caused by a massive bacterial infection, causing liver or kidney failure and fluid retention.

You can try treating with a strong antibiotic, like Flagyl or tetracycline, and that may help.

Or, as you have two fish involved, it might be worth seeking out a fish friendly vet who could do a biopsy for you, and find out the exact bacteria involved.

Try the simple methods first, isolation in a hospital tank, and treat with 1 level tablespoon of epsom salts per 40 litres of tank water. Raise the temp to 32 degrees and hopefully you will see a rather large discharge of waste within 24 hours.

oOAnUrIsMOo
Thu Apr 13, 2006, 11:15 AM
Thanks I will try the epsom salt I set up a hospital tank this morning. So this afternoon I will move the two fish over.

The fish does have some brown spots but I dont think that it is anything I dont thin there is any lumps.

Shaun

oOAnUrIsMOo
Thu Apr 13, 2006, 11:16 AM
I feed the fish there favorite blood worms this morning and the one Blue diamond with the most distended tummy just ignored the food the other did eat some.

Shaun

G-1000
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 12:19 AM
Shaun,

Do you feed them bloodworms exclusively ?

G

oOAnUrIsMOo
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 10:36 AM
no I also feed tetra bits and shrimp

Merrilyn
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 06:48 AM
Any update on the fish Shaun. Did the epsomsalts help at all.

It may be worth while treating your fish for worms with a product containing levamisole. I doubt your fish have tapeworm, but they could have pinworm or threadworm, and the levamisole will rid them of that.

oOAnUrIsMOo
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 12:02 AM
Hi all, the epsom salts did not seem to do anything. I am currently treating with medications. I will updat on wednesday.

pbates
Wed Jul 05, 2006, 10:15 PM
Any update on this?

i have a new blue diamond who looks exactly the same, but without the bumps.