PDA

View Full Version : solitary confinement.. how long?

sammigold
Mon Apr 10, 2006, 11:52 AM
Hi, after watching constant angst between my BBT and my PB and noticing my BBT getting stressed, darker and showing signs of being bashed up I finally bit the bullet today and put meanie PB into solitary confinement... (Tank is so peaceful now!!!) :)

Just wanted to know how long I should keep him by himself before putting him back in and how much of a change to the decor do you need to make to fool them into thinking they are somewhere new?

I am a bit loathe to move my stuff around as I dont want to set back any plants that are happy where they are and I also really like the set up... but will change it if I have too!

marg
Mon Apr 10, 2006, 04:42 PM
Hi Sammi,

When I separated my Red Marlboro and my Pigeon Blood I only separated them for a week.

Seeing as they were in a bare bottomed tank I didn't change anything - but after being apart for a week it took the sting out of him.

Prior to separating he was belting the heck out of her - to the point where he had her boxed in to the top corner of the tank - whilst they were apart he was in another tank and could see her - he just stayed in the corner of the tank and stared at her like a lovestruck kid - when I put them back together he was a much more subdued fellow - now they are as happy as Larry.

This is the second time that I have had to do this with this pair - always seems to happen when she has had a run of spawning then goes into a rest period - he then starts bashing her - Ladyred explained to me that it is because he wants her to spawn and she's not willing - anyway separating them for about a week seems to do the trick. Works for me.

Hope this helps.,

Regards,

marg.

sammigold
Tue Apr 11, 2006, 12:49 AM
thanks.... I am sort of confused as to why these guys fight... I think they are both Males and are fighting over the female Red. The pb was constantly chasing BBt all over and butting him etc...

I am also wondering if poor BBT isnt also being used as a surrogate parent by my tiniest baby as his fins are getting a little ragged and he seems like he is darker but not dark in sick way... anyway I am trying to keep an eye on that and hope that the separation will give him a little while to recuperate from bashings.

Thanks Marg for your advice...

goldenpigeon
Tue Apr 11, 2006, 01:18 AM
i would do it for atleast a week sammi, but at mst a month. i think 3 weeks. feed the others plenty of w/c's. then release him back into the community.

sammigold
Tue Apr 11, 2006, 04:29 AM
thanks gp... I was thinking along the 3week line.... I will see how he goes..

Davo
Tue Apr 11, 2006, 11:33 AM
I am having a similar problem. I bought a very nice Super Penang Eruption from SLS a couple of weeks ago and it has been getting chased and harrassed by the 5 existing discus. A week later I bought 2 more discus and the new discus do not get harrassed but the Eruption still does. I wish there was such a thing as a sin bin in aquariums.

The Eruption is one of best looking Eruptions that I have seen and is too pricey to be constantly harrassed so my next step is to partition off a section of the tank (4x2x2) to give the Eruption a rest (I do not have another tank). I bought a sheet of plastic and will drill holes in it for water circulation.

I will seperate it for a week or two then remove the partition and see how it goes.

Dave.

sammigold
Wed Apr 12, 2006, 03:10 AM
Good Luck Dave.... Its distressing watching them beat each other up!!

Davo
Sat Apr 15, 2006, 10:32 AM
The Super Penang Eruption (what a mothful) has been segregated and is looking like it was when I bought it from SLS.

I will give it a week and then remove the partition. If it still gets harrassed I will probably have to sell it or swap it for another quality fish or a nice pair.

Dave.

sammigold
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 11:46 AM
My Blue turq is back to looking nice too, I am just hoping that when the pigeon blood is put back in that he pulls his head in and doesnt bully the turq anymore....

Have you got a main bully or are they all bullying your PE....