PDA

View Full Version : what type of rocks .. ?

samjh86
Sun Apr 09, 2006, 11:20 PM
Hi,

I want to make a african tank, so i want lots of rocks in there.. Can i just put any clean rocks into the tank ?

Can i put granit rocks into it ? Because there are a lot round my house.

Thanks

sammigold
Mon Apr 10, 2006, 03:50 AM
You have to be careful with some rocks as they can leach out certain elements that can play havoc with water conditions and can sometimes be lethal to fish...

I think there is a test you can do with rocks you put some salt on the rock and then pour on some vinegar and if it bubbles/fizzes it is not good to put in your tank... (i think it has something to do with a chemical reaction that lets you know if there are certain metals in the rocks or lime etc...)

I am sure there are some more scientifically able members of the forum who should be able to explain better and confirm if that test is right.... hth for the time being...

Merrilyn
Mon Apr 10, 2006, 07:03 AM
Sam, traditional rocks for african tanks are the white limestone ones. You need hard water with a high pH for africans, and the limestone rocks will help you maintain that.

I wouldn't try the granite rocks from around you house in the tank. They could be contaminated with pesticide, fertilizer, oil or any number of other things.

Play safe, and get some rocks from your local aquarium shop, or from a fellow fishkeeper who is getting out of africans. Much safer option. :P

samjh86
Mon Apr 10, 2006, 08:14 AM
hey thanks for the info.. ill go with what u said ! better to be safe then very sorry :P

k9outfit
Mon Apr 10, 2006, 03:49 PM
From my experience and observations, type of rock (& formations) depends on what kind of African Cichlids you are after. Mbuna prefer lots of smaller hiding places, so usually the recommended type is Texas holey rock or lace rock - not sure what it would be called in your area (lots of holes, crevices etc.). To reduce some of the aggression, it's almost the more rock, the better. (It's also recommended to overstock the tank, to distribute the aggression.) For Haps & peacocks, large rocks built up into larger caves and flat surfaces, with large open swimming areas; so not an excessive amount of rockwork. For Tanganyikans, for the most part I believe they prefer sand with possibly a few flat rocks. For some Tangs, sand with shells they can hide in is all that's required.

Also, to increase the pH, I use Seachem's 8.2 Marine Buffer, but crushed corral (I suspect it's the same as shellgrit?) is also a common additive. Another suggested additive is baking soda, though personally, I don't care for using it.

HTH :)