PDA

View Full Version : Community or seperate tanks?

k9outfit
Sun Apr 09, 2006, 09:48 PM
I know I'm jumping the gun here, but ...

I recently acquired my first 6 Discus, and am planning on getting 4 or 5 other varieties, with the hopes of eventually breeding them. Should I keep the seperate varieties (probably 4 of each) in seperate tanks (eventually their breeding tanks), or should I toss them all into 1 large (230 gallon) community tank? Would the varieties pair off within their own, or would they be likely to cross? (I'm not 1 for hybrids.) Also, the breeding tanks are 36x18x18; is this too big? Should I partition off let's say 24" or so to have a temporary 24x18x18 tank, then remove the partition once the fry are larger?

marg
Sun Apr 09, 2006, 10:34 PM
k9outfit,

If you put them all into one tank you will most likely end up with hybrids. They don't care what colour the member of the opposite sex is - so seeing as you are not keen on hybrids, Keep your same vaireties in seperate tanks and wait to see if any pair up.

Once they pair up you can put dividers in the tanks.

For expert advice, contact Ben or Crocky - both of them are a mountain of information when it comes to breeding.,

Regards,

Marg.

Ben
Sat Apr 15, 2006, 12:30 AM
k9outfit,

I would grow them all up in a big tank and when they are adults and start spawning in the comminty tank you can start sorting out which ones you wish to breed.

Crossing colour types is ok and quite interesting.
But personally i would not cross a blue diamond with a red melon though!

You can divide the smaller tank to breed them but if stray fry go into the pair next door they might be eaten.

hope this helps

Ben