PDA

View Full Version : agro male

m1
Sun Apr 09, 2006, 02:52 PM
Hi all :wave
just came across this site, some good info thanks :D

my discus recently spawned and the parents have done a great job so far but in the last few days the male is getting very aggresive towards the female. the fry are about 5 weeks old and i was planning to move them to a suitable raising tank in the hope that the parents would spawn again. the problem is the male is getting increasingly aggressive to the point where he is constantly chasing her around.
should i put them back in the main tank for a break?
should i try a new female as the male spawned with 2 females when he was in the main tank?
is this common?

thanks any info would be appreciated :wink:

marg
Sun Apr 09, 2006, 10:27 PM
m1,

I'm no expert, but it sounds like he wants her to spawn again and she is not ready.

I'd put them in a tank with a divider between them for a while and give her a rest, that might work. I had the same problem recently - i separated them and now they are back together and happy as can be.

Regards,

Marg.

goldenpigeon
Sun Apr 09, 2006, 11:40 PM
i have a similar problem with my red turqs

at the moment i have a "psycotic breeding trio of bisexual discus" *mouthful lol*

there is one definate male and one definate female. the other looks to be a male but it is extremely hard for me to tell at this point because it is a very large fish however it has had some huge fights with the male and it has had some romance with him aswell. it has also been with the female.

the other night there was a lot of fighting between the lot of them and the female was spawning but the other 2 were fighting a fair bit so i didnt see their breeding tubes down. then they both started pounding the female!!!!!! these are all big fish an a 80L tank i think it is so i have moved them to a 3ft tank with my elephant nose and a few bn.

i am thinking that by putting them in there they will calm down and if there is 2 males they will be able to make much more territory so there wont be any fighting...... but now i need one of them to get with the female.

like marg said it would probably be best to put a transperant barrier between the pair. i have found that if you split them up it really doesnt help the process. when you divide them make sure you give the female plenty of w/c and good food. do the same for the male but he wont need as much care as she will. HTH

marg
Mon Apr 10, 2006, 01:06 AM
Hi G.P.,

You are really having fun, aren't you!!.

I hate it when they fight, even more so when it's a definate pair that start bickering. Always seems to be the Male who picks the blue if he doesn't get his evil way (kinda like humans sometimes heh, heh).

My Red Marlboro was really picking on his little mate (Pigeon Blood) a few weeks ago - to the point where he had her pushed into the top corner of the tank - I moved him out and put another fish with her - put him in a tank nearby where he could see her - should've seen the lovesick looks he was giving her while they were separated - after a week I put them back together and now they are at peace. Maybe he has learnt his lesson now, although they are having a rest from spawning they are happy as two peas in a pod :lol: :lol: .

Maybe you should put your definate Male and Female together and see what happens without the interference of the other "Trannie".,

Regards,

Marg.

goldenpigeon
Mon Apr 10, 2006, 01:21 AM
i would do that marg but i have found that when pairs choose their own mates instead of being put with another fish they are much better parents. ill give it a go if i dont get an end result but i have very very little tank space atm :(

m1
Mon Apr 10, 2006, 03:34 AM
thanks for the replies
I was a bit worried at first that the male might do some damage but i think he was a bit upset cause i just removed their first fry. he seems to have calmed down now.

Merrilyn
Mon Apr 10, 2006, 07:24 AM
Hello m1 welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the fry.

Yes, unfortunately this is fairly common.

One partner will be ready to spawn before the other, and so gives the mate a hard time. In the wild, she would just swim off, and come back when she's full of eggs and ready to spawn. Unfortunately in a tank, she has no where to go, and has to put up with his aggression.

Separation at this time works well. Give her a break from him, and feed her up well with the best foods you can find. She'll soon be ready to spawn , and he'll be the devoted father again :P