PDA

View Full Version : Solid base for tank, or just a frame?

Topkath
Sun Apr 09, 2006, 08:46 AM
Hey,

Just a very basic question... I've always had tanks that had a solid base with polystyrene for the tank to sit on. With the new tank that I've just bought, the frame is just that, a frame for the tank to sit into, there is no support for the bottom pane of the tank to sit on (so you can see through to the floor under the tank). Is this normal? or should there be a solid base with support? (I do have gravel in the tank, so the fish can't see through, but my concern is the weight of the tank contents possibly cracking the bottom pane? can this happen?

fw05racer
Sun Apr 09, 2006, 09:03 AM
Is there supports running across the middle?
If there is and you put your polystyrene on top of it you should be fine. Some people prefer putting a sheet of mdf or ply underneath to give it extra support before putting the polystyrene on top.

I have seen a 10x2.5x2.5 without the mdf and ply just the frame with the cross supports and polystyrene and it has been going for over 10 years.

ashley
Sun Apr 09, 2006, 12:02 PM
Hi Topkath

Ihave a 4ft Aqua1 tank with the same, frame supporting the bottom glass.

However the glass is 10mm with the support running from front to back.

I was a little worried about putting too much weight it it to begin with, however since set up I have filled it with 3in of pool filter sand, about 10 large river rocks. drift wood and filled it with water and have had no problems. See my album

Ashley