PDA

View Full Version : Feeding broccoli to discus

FishyGal
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 06:09 PM
I cook broccoli and then mix it with gelatine and let it set, cut it into tiny cubes and feed it to my fish. The discus really likes it and picks at the little cubes for ages, what I would like to know though is if it is good for him?? I can't find any info on 'greens' for discus, don't they need any?

Val

marg
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 10:35 PM
Fishygal,

I put Zucchinni in my Community tank for my Bristlenoses, and one of my Discus zones in to it as soon as it hits the water and has a really good pick at it.

When I make up my Beefheart mix I always put Spinach in it and they all eat that.

Regards,

Marg.

jim from sydney
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 12:23 AM
Discus like to nibble at vegetation in the Amazon.......so fresh young vegies are tops, small pieces and a little boiled to make them soft
It is a good variation to their diets........JIm

Ben
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 05:33 AM
This reminds me of a Joke! :D:

What’s the difference between snot and broccoli? :shock:

You can’t get children to eat broccoli!

Sorry dumb joke!

heheheh

back to the point, feeding spinach is excellent for your discus containing many vitamins and minerals plus its high in fibre.

Cheers
Ben :D :shock:

marg
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 11:45 PM
BEN :shock: !!

You are right though, they love their Spinach :) .

Regards,

Marg.

jim from sydney
Fri Apr 07, 2006, 11:02 AM
How to prepare the spinach....steam and chop finely????? is that enough, like chopping with a knife or paste it in a blender?????

marg
Sat Apr 08, 2006, 09:43 AM
Jim,

I just steam it for 2 minutes in the microwave, then add it to all of my ingredients in the blender so that it mixes in well with the Beefheart, etc.,

Regards,

marg.

Squid
Wed Apr 12, 2006, 11:25 PM
I've seen broccoli fedto discus in a display tank up here - theye seem to love it. The owner puts a big piece in weighed down with a plant weight and they pick at it for hours. Not much left of the florets after about 1 hour. I amight just try some today.
Squid

jim from sydney
Thu Apr 13, 2006, 03:00 AM
I have tried broc. as well. discus love it the only thing is the left-overs......stink in the water.......and are hard to filter out....

baby spinach is better and can be mixed easily...

..Jim