PDA

View Full Version : LIGHTING does it bother discus

Nathan
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 10:40 AM
im thinking of buying another two strips of lighting for my plants, so itl have 3 strips of flourecents will this bother the discus?

nathan

sharn
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 12:00 PM
i wouldnt think so, ive seen people with MH on their discus tanks for plants and theyre out and about all happy but im not too up on lighting.

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 02:12 PM
It will be fine. Just make sure there are some shaded areas in the tank, and your fish will be fine.

Just don't turn the lights on all at once in the morning. Give them a bit of time to wake up LOL.

FishLover
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 03:35 PM
I have some moon lights that turned on first in the morning before the main lights are on, then moon lights are turned off after an hour of the main lights. They are turned on about one hour before the main lights are off and stay on for another hour.

That gives the Discus a sense that the day is ready and the night is coming. Less impact of sudden strong lights on/off. Also it gives me a chance to enjoy the fish in different lighting. The moon lights are great IMO.

All lights are controlled by different timers. What can I say, I'm lazy and the timers are just $3.00 or so each.

ellwa
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 04:10 PM
I have some moon lights that turned on first in the morning before the main lights are on, then moon lights are turned off after an hour of the main lights. They are turned on about one hour before the main lights are off and stay on for another hour.

That gives the Discus a sense that the day is ready and the night is coming. Less impact of sudden strong lights on/off. Also it gives me a chance to enjoy the fish in different lighting. The moon lights are great IMO.

All lights are controlled by different timers. What can I say, I'm lazy and the timers are just $3.00 or so each.

I have much the same thing..

two 300mA cold cathode tubes that come on with the same timiing before the other lights come on.

Don't mind turning over the timer if I want to enjoy the fish a little while longer at nighttime. :)

if you want more details, I'm happy to post more details about what to do to build night lighting.

Del
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 04:10 AM
Yes please Ellwa! I would be interested to read it.

I have two table lamps (on timers) in the same room as my tank. One turns off 15mins after the tank lights and the other turns off 15mins after that. So the fish have a gradual fade.

The mornings are fine as the natural sunrise lights up the room.

I have also read that a dim light left on by the fish tank at night is a good idea - though I have not tried it - is this similar to moonlighting? :oops:

DEL