PDA

View Full Version : discus tilting and has kind of white peely skin

Nathan
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 02:11 AM
hi i bought this juvi about 4 days ago, and its been hiding at the back of the tank and has been eating if the food is right next to him, hes constantly clamped up and sometimes flickers its fins and rubs against thing.

in te past few days ive noticed its developing a white sort of peel on its skin, at first i thought it maybe body flukes, but now its developed a white peel on it im not sure, any help would be greatly apretiated

nathan

Nathan
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 05:42 AM
its now sprad to some of the other discus, they are only using one fin on there sides and also sometime are only breathing from the one fin, ill try and get some pics.

would i be right in thinking this could possibly be flukes?

nathan

Nathan
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 06:21 AM
here are some pics, sorry one of them is quite blurred as my camera isnt great.

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 08:42 AM
Hmmm don't like the sound of that Nathan.

Treat them with salt and a temp of 32 degrees, and tell me the pH of your water.

Nathan
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 08:51 AM
its 7, an ill turn the heat up :wink:

thx ladyred

nathan

vicky
Mon Apr 10, 2006, 10:30 AM
I'm having the exact problem with two out of eight of my juvies. The blue Diamond is looking quite dark and tilting one side using only one fin and the red one has stopped eating and stays in the upper back corner of the tank or hiding someplace else. I just read the Plague post yesterday and today noticed the symptoms today some of them have been scratching their bodies on the leaves of plants and have web like threads attatches to their bodies. :(

I've added about 150Gms of rock salt to my 55G tank. and some meth. blue on the advice of my LFS guy. and turned off the lights. the temp is 30C
Any thing alse i shoud do??
When should i do the next water change??

vicky
Mon Apr 10, 2006, 10:39 AM
pH is 6.0 and ive added i Almond leave to maintain a low pH.

vicky
Mon Apr 10, 2006, 04:48 PM
someone please reply..they started showing ick too..

Bill T.
Mon Apr 10, 2006, 11:03 PM
How's it going, Nathan.
By the sounds of it, that juvenile you bought has transported some kind of pathogen with it. I have learned by good advice from this site, and hard experience, to always quarantine new fish.

Are you running a U.V. steriliser? IMHO this would really help keep pathogen levels at a much lower and therefore more manageable level.

A while ago I had similar experiences to what you are describing & tried different remedies without much luck. In the end I sterilsed my whole system and started again, purchasing from a well recommended supplier.

Would you consider taking that juvenile to a fish friendly vet for a diagnosis? I guess a pathology test could be costly, but you might be able to identify the pathogen and make better treatment decisions?