PDA

View Full Version : Time to drool...

Proteus
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 01:54 AM
Anyone for some lights?

Giesemann System 260 Sunrise 4x54w (T5) (http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1607)

Giesemann System 260 Moonlight 2x150w + 2x39w (T5) (http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1605)

The System 260 Sunrise 4x80w (T5) (with external computer controller) has just gone to the top of my shopping list.

Giesemann Sunrisetimer (http://www.giesemann.de/en/suesswasserbeleuchtung/sunrisedimmer.php)

The SUNRISE TIMER allows the aquarist to dim the GIESEMANN SYSTEM light modules in both the conventional and the T-5 technology versions, offering simultaneous output control for as many as four twin modules.

At the desired time the lighting starts up at minimum power and gradually reaches maximum performance according to your stipulated requirements.

Then, again at the desired time, the system slowly reduces the output down to the minimum. Not only does this offer the inhabitants of your aquarium optimum living conditions, it also cuts your electricity costs.

You can also program a cloud simulation during which the lighting is reduced to 80 % intensity for a few minutes at random.

The liquid crystal display provides clear indication of all functions and operating conditions.

:shock:

Del
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 02:03 AM
For a mere $6400 you can have the sun and the moon - now that's cheap!

Proteus
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 02:05 AM
For a mere $6400 you can have the sun and the moon - now that's cheap!

lol

btw, the Moonlight model does the sunrise/sunset thingo as well... so you get some change $$$

Gotta love the colour options

Nathan
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 02:28 AM
yea the colour options look great, ive never heard of lighting systems to do things like that!

nathan

Proteus
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 02:46 AM
ive never heard of lighting systems to do things like that

in essence it is just like a dimming switch that some houses have, with a microprocessor controlling the phases and output

Nathan
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 03:29 AM
oh yeah i didnt think of that :oops: still, never heard of lighting systems with microprosesors in them

nathan

dreamer
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 04:16 AM
its a feature that is nice to have but has very little use or maybe not at all?
if only im a millionare :p

rthnone
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 04:31 AM
its a feature that is nice to have but has very little use or maybe not at all?
if only im a millionare :p

Try saying that on any reef forum, or even on some of the hard core planted sites. You may need to eat your words.

I have used an small LED moonlight on one of my reef tanks for years and the difference in the corals is amazing. I can only imagine what a systme would do that replicates the lunar cycle (AquaMedic also make some fine moonlight systems).

planted tanks there isnt so much of a following, yet there are a lot of people that swear by a small light on at night stating that the plants and fish are a lot healthier and the fish dont startle as much as they can when it is dark.

each to there own, and being a millionare would help, but the links arent to the base models, they are the top of line gear.

here are some other examples on the same site of another brand that offers the exact same thing

http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=147

The Aquasunlight NG offers you lush dawn – dusk effects, intense and shimmering daylight, and sparkling moonlight to simulate the entire 24 hour light cycle.

http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=134

Matched to the requirements of the animals and plants in the aquarium, they realistically simulate natural lighting conditions. The combination of the aquastarlight and aquamoonlight lighting systems provide natural illumination “around the clock”.

dreamer
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 06:23 AM
what's the difference do you see when you do/dont use moonlight for your coral? better/faster growth or they just look better because they 'glow' under led?

if im wrong i'll admit it, its part of learning curve ...

rthnone
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 07:04 AM
what's the difference do you see when you do/dont use moonlight for your coral? better/faster growth or they just look better because they 'glow' under led?

if im wrong i'll admit it, its part of learning curve ...

I find the corals, especially the soft variety grow a lot quicker, and are a lot healthier than when I did not use moonlighting. It also does look great being able to see in there vaguely after dark. Spawning is something that I never encountered prior to using a moonlight, now it is a regular occurance.

Here are some snippits from the MASA forums re moonlights.

There is heaps of literature on the spawning cycle etc related to the lunar cycles, in both fish and inverts.

I have had many people find they dont loose as many fish to jumping out of an uncovered tank when moonlight is provided

Moonlight plays an important role in the lives of aquatic creatures. Fish, invertebrates, and photosynthetic corals are all intimately bound to the natural lunar cycles. By recreating lunar luminescence in a reef aquarium you benefit not only the tanks inhabitants, but add aesthetic value to the aquarium

this is on marinedepot.com

Q, Do I need moon light for my aquarium?
A, No, moonlights are not a necessity for aquariums, but they can be beneficial to reef aquariums. Research does show that moonlights help induce spawning in corals and invertebrates. Moonlights also allow you to see in your aquarium at night, making the tank more aesthetically pleasing. As they are normally low watt LED lights, they do not consume much energy.

HTH

dreamer
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 08:18 AM
thats only looking at one side of the argument surely many others dont think the same.

all i can say the result is mixed and both side has its own reason, however, using such a hi tech setup for something we cannot be sure is a bit of a waste dont you think?

taksan
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 08:26 AM
BS !

moonlights are scientificatly proven to work for coral growth !

dreamer
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 11:22 AM
of course
is there anything you dont know?

apalsson
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 05:13 AM
Fella's - at the risk of sounding like I'm putting down the Gieseman moonlight systems which without doubt are excellent, I solved this for $24 in my 6 x 2 x 2 planted tank.

Additionally to the Halides / Fluoro combination, I bought a Cold Cathode light from Ebay for $24. This is a 2 x 12" blue light, - often used within those funky computer cases and then connected it to a 9V power supply I had laying around at home. At night, this casts a fantastic moon light look-alike light into the tank.
I don't have it on a timer at all because when the Halides are on, you don't see the bluw light.

The Halide setup has 100W of fluoro light that comes on 30min before the Halides and stay on 30 minutes later. The moonlight is on always

Works a treat !

Proteus
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 05:38 AM
There are some great DIY options but they cant be compared to the products offered by companies such as Giesemann, Aqua-Medic, Sfiligoi, etc etc.

You must factor in that these arent just light units, these are almost pieces of furniture, display equipment, etc etc...

Yes they are functional, and you can get cheaper clone products or DIY options, but when you see one of these units it says something.

Another way of looking at it, lets say you are a nice new house, have stylish furniture, a plasma/lcd screen, nice stereo system and a well laid out display tank, doesnt it look a lot better and increase the whole impact with a nice lighting system on board. Agreed, they arent cheap, but as with most good quality products, it comes at a price, each to there own, and I am one whol likes them and can appreciate what they do, hence why I am getting a few units to place on my favourite 2 tanks.

Dreamer, as for your comments about the moonlights practicality, I can also verify that they do make coral spawning so much easier, plus even with Discus they seem to be less skittish after the normal lights go out, and hey, the moonlights I have used in the past cost me less than $80 for a small complete unit.

Davo
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 09:23 AM
I also believe in the old quote "You get what you pay for" but i really cannot see the value of a $4000 odd dollar lighting setup.

I have seen these setups but I seriously cannot see them being worth 1000's of bucks.

Dave.

Proteus
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 10:31 AM
"You get what you pay for"

I agree 100%.

However you must remember with these systems it isnt just a light. It is a computerised controller as well, plus they dont use the usual el-cheapo starters which reduce the lifespan of any light tube/bulb, these are microprocessor controlled which gradually direct the power to the light so as not to cause rapid illumination and long term stress to the element.

vishy
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 12:43 PM
I just setup 6xHOT5's withg reflectors and dimmable electonic ballasts or a mere $400 so how can these guys justify charging $4,000 i can go buy a dimmer controller for a few hundred buks, and even d/l the program off the net so i can run it through my computer doing the exact same thing these do for a 1/4 of the price with an extra 110w!!! Ridiculous marketing and way over priced if you ask me,
Just my 2 cents worth,
Thanks
Matt

Proteus
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 12:50 PM
I just setup 6xHOT5's withg reflectors and dimmable electonic ballasts or a mere $400 so how can these guys justify charging $4,000 i can go buy a dimmer controller for a few hundred buks, and even d/l the program off the net so i can run it through my computer doing the exact same thing these do for a 1/4 of the price with an extra 110w!!! Ridiculous marketing and way over priced if you ask me,
Just my 2 cents worth,
Thanks
Matt

ok then, so what are your thoughts on Hyundai verses Mercedes Benz?

They both get from a to b...

Why dont you post a picture of your set up and let others decide how good it looks, I gaurantee it doesnt even come close to the above mentioned systems, yes it may work, but some of us have taste when it comes to a "display tank". You wouldnt go adding one of these systems to just any tank, they are built for a purpose and to look good.

rthnone
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 12:58 PM
I think some people here are missing the point, and are not taking into account there are people that either arent good at DIY stuff, or dont have the time to make something.

I have plenty of DIY lighting but it would never be good enough to go on a display tank that is meant to be a feature item of a house or business - no way. Plus you arent just paying for the lights, there is the craftsmanship involved, plus the technology. Why have your lights hooked up remotely to a controller, why not build it into the unit? that is what several of these companies have done.

If you cant afford something like this, so be it, but dont try and compare DIY with precision built equipment.

I would love to see a home made unit that looks like this -

http://www.giesemann.de/en/media/detailpics/sunrise1.jpg

fact is, that isnt going to happen.

I would truly love one of these setups on my Dining room display tank, but it is something I cant afford at the moment, however i do appreciate quality.

vishy
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 01:22 PM
I wasn't saying mines better im just stating i got the same effect with very similar equipment used at less than a quarter of the price, and no it doesnt look like that because mines built into a jarrah hood, and mainly i couldnt afford it. Regarding hyundai v. mercedes I'd say mercedes are way over priced and would like one but again i couldnt justify spending the money,
Will up pics tommorow(and feel free to bag my lights because i dont care lol)
Thanks
Matt

Proteus
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 01:31 PM
Personally I am not out to bag anything. (so please post pics)

I like the look of these systems and am in the process of ordering 2 units. However I cant justify $4000 on some lights and am only looking at $1000 units. Aside from a similar priced Aqua-Medic unit I havent seen anything else that I personally like. I work long hours and maybe this is kind of a treat, call it what you like.

And to be honest, I dont have time for DIY

Merrilyn
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 01:46 PM
Have to admit I'm getting one of super duper lighting systems too, and no, not the $4000 unit.

I want something that works properly, looks good and is totally reliable. I have absolutely no idea about DIY and much prefer to leave it to the experts. I envy those of you who can build filtration and lighting systems. Unfortunately if I were to attempt it, I'd probably fry myself and my fish too. Leaves with me with no other other choice than to pay for that expertise.

Yes, it's expensive, but so were my fish.

apalsson
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 06:42 PM
The Cold Cathode setup isn't exactly DIY - all that's required is pull it out of the box, stick it on the inside of the hood with velcro pads that are already with the globes and plug in the power wires.

I admit that I wouldn't mind one of these fandangle Gieseman units but the price difference alone pays for my entire setup:

6 x 2 x 2 tank - $1500
3 x 150M HM Light - $1000
FX5 filter - $350
36W UV - $300
Latex background - $350
Heater - $100

Leaving almost $500 for substrate, fish etc etc.

Proteus
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 10:27 PM
If we are going to compare apples to apples, the Giesemann 3 x 150w HQI System costs approx $2000, Aqua-Medic 3 x 150w HQI $1799. Both include the quailty built housing and suspension systems...

To be fair, you can get the AquaOne 3 x 150w HQI set up which also includes 6 Power Compact lights for $1000 and it is a nice looking unit as well (although somewhat bulky).

Everybodies idea of pricing is different, even just comparing your break down of costs apalsson, you paid $1500 for a 6x2x2, now given I do have friends in the industry I wouldnt pay more than $400 for the same tank, or say double that for Starfire glass... therefore the extra spent on lighting just brings things back into a common line compared to what others are paying.

vishy
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 11:39 PM
Here's those pics I promised :lol: There's 6xHOt5's in there some LED's and i just hooked up a little computer fan as it gets pretty darn hot

Sorry it's a bit out of focus
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/vishy_100/t5016.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/vishy_100/t5017.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/vishy_100/t5018.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/vishy_100/t5030.jpg

the woods actually darker than what it shows in the pic
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/vishy_100/t5031.jpg

BTW only planted sunday, pics are on there way as soon as it fills in a bit,
Thanks
Matt
PS wouldnt mind seeing some pics of your new lights

Proteus
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 11:47 PM
Nice setup... but I want to flaunt my lights... :P lol

I dont use hoods on my tanks, so I couldnt really assemble what you have.

btw, are they 39w or 54w tubes?

(nice spectrum mix you have got going there)

It will be a few weeks before I get the 4 x 80w system, but pics will be provided.

vishy
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 11:59 PM
They're the 54w tubes and pretty darn bright, the reflectors(parabolic) seem to make a big difference compared to a mates setup. Fortunately the hood came with the tank :lol: I just had to mount the gear and wire it up. The mix should 4 aqua medic plant tubes and 2 of the 10 000 k seems to give a nice balance :) I hope your going to run co2 in the tank with those lights :lol: ,
Thanks
Matt

Proteus
Fri Apr 07, 2006, 12:07 AM
I will be running 2 C02 Diffusors running off one bottle and computer controller.

I will prob run 2 x Planta tubes, 1 x Blue, 1 x White, similar to what you have minus the 2 planted tubes.

Total wattage is basically the same 324w vs 320w.

I will be hooking up a light computer to the system down the track as I am not getting one of the integrated units.

vishy
Fri Apr 07, 2006, 12:13 AM
Sounds decent, what size tank is it going on? Yeh pH controllers rock eh
Thanks
Matt

Proteus
Fri Apr 07, 2006, 12:15 AM
Sounds decent, what size tank is it going on? Yeh pH controllers rock eh
Thanks
Matt

5 x 2 x 2

I have pH controllers on 3 of my tanks already and they sure make things a lot easier to keep in check.

vishy
Fri Apr 07, 2006, 12:16 AM
Thats going to look awesome, any ideas on what gravel and scape your going for, lol a bit off topic :lol:
Thanks
Matt

Proteus
Fri Apr 07, 2006, 12:19 AM
Not sure yet, although I will be using the ADA soils and ADA wood pieces, apart from that, when the time comes expect some posts here and on the AGA forum asking for suggestions.

apalsson
Fri Apr 07, 2006, 08:52 AM
apalsson, you paid $1500 for a 6x2x2, now given I do have friends in the industry I wouldnt pay more than $400 for the same tank, .

Proteus, I paid $900 for the tank, including cabinet and hood through Ebay. Common price for those tanks is between $1300 and $1500 if they are good quality.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a Gieseman unit. She who must be obeyed would no doubt fry my heart on a pan if I did that though.
I paid $1060 for the 3 x 150W Mozoo halide unit from Aquaria and thought it was not a bad price.

Agreed, - it's all horses for courses.

Enjoy your light

rainbow
Fri Sep 01, 2006, 04:17 AM
$4000 + might seem like alot of money for a metal halide lighting unit. We have one of the 260 moonlight series over our XL planted tank and the Geisemann is more than just a lighting system. People walk into our house and initially drool over our XL plant tank, once they settle down, they take a close look at the geisemann unit. They want to know all about the lighting unit, it's computer operation and how it works, and they off course comment how beautiful it looks. Sometimes our guests get to see more than one phase of the day (ie, when they arrive early evening when the halides go off, t8's come on and then followed by darkness, and then a dim moonlight begins to gain intensity showing off the georgeous rainbowfish colours, and slowly the moonlight goes back to darkness). The Geisemann's are something special, I can assure you.

Merrilyn
Fri Sep 01, 2006, 04:25 AM
Rainbow that sounds wonderful.

Have you got any pictures showing the effects of the different lighting.

Would love to see them. :P

shewey
Fri Sep 01, 2006, 05:11 AM
Sounds great rainbow! I too would love to see pics of the setup.

Here is a general question about mounting lighting sysems such as the Geisemanns from the roof...does this mean that you need to have the timer for when to turn the lights on/off up in the roof rather than down at the power point where it is easy to change the settings?

I am setting up a large display tank which hopefully will be the feature of the house, and am thinking of going with an open/top with a Geisemann 230 plus on it. They look fantastic!!

Cheers,
Mark

rainbow
Fri Sep 01, 2006, 07:24 AM
I will try and get some pictures organised soon (need to find time).

Shewey, the Giesemann's are built to last a lifetime. Going open top with a giesemann is as sexy as it gets IMO ! With the giesemann 230 plus series, you can do the cabling either of two ways (up in the roof which is nicest, or over the back of the tank which is easier). You can also use well built hangman posts (matched with your cabinet off course) and then it does not have to go in the roof. However roof setup is very nice, and this would either mean that your timer would with be in the roof or you can extend the cabling behind a wall and into your cabinet. I think this is how it works, but I am not 100% sure as I do not have this unit I am, however thinking of buying one of these units in a year or two for another tank.

With the Moonlight 260 series, the computer is built into the unit, so everything is controlled via a digital panel at the end of the unit. Each of the light are on independant timers, you can choose what ever times and sequence you like for each of the lights. The moonlight can even be programmed to come on at differnt times each night over a 28 day period).

shewey
Fri Sep 01, 2006, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the info Rainbow. The 260 sounds awesome. I don't think the 230 or 230 plus has the computer controls in the main light unit, but I could be wrong.

I am totally in agreement with an open top tank with a Giesemann light hanging from the roof being the top of the wazza look. :D

I wonder if APW will ever put the Giesemann lighting systems on special. :-)

Cheers,
Mark

Proteus
Fri Sep 01, 2006, 07:47 AM
I wonder if APW will ever put the Giesemann lighting systems on special

If you look at the APW - September Specials post in the classifieds section now might be your opportunity

:wink:

shewey
Fri Sep 01, 2006, 07:55 AM
Done. :-) No harm in asking...